Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISP recommendations required...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaCheese

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: ISP recommendations required... Reply with quote

Tonight I ran a speed test on the broadband connection we have here. At prime time I got just over 0.5 mbps, so it's looking decidedly narrow band to me. At least it explains the lag I'm getting at the moment on TM.

Annoyed at the service we've had from Eclipse over the past however-long, I decided it's time to look for another ISP. Unlimited usage and UK call centre like I currently have, but with a higher speed connection and NO TRAFFIC SHAPING. As I start my search, does anyone have a provider that they're really pleased with and delivers a package that meets these criteria?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on ntl a few months ago, and i would recommend that to anyone. Not a single problem in about 3 years of use, never got lag even though it was only about 2Mb, no problems when switching to a new supplier, just what you expect. But a little ago, my mum changed to TalkTalk without saying anything. I've heard they were completely useless... so i wasnt too pleased. But, i've had no problems. The advertised 8Mb is about 7Mb, which is fine Razz I cant tell you if the call centres are in the Uk, as i've never had to call them. Not sure about bandwidths limits either... it hasnt slowed down dramatically yet, so i guess i have gone over any limits, if there are any. Rolling Eyes
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virgin took over my ntl line, seamless service, full bandwidth for 99% of the time ( those exceptions for engineering works ), they WILL spank you down if you go over some arbitrary usage limits but unless you're a filesharing car boot spiv you've no worries. Our data comes optical except for the last 30 metres.

Skin by Baino
DanTheMan

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you're a filesharing car boot spiv

What wrong with trying to make a living??
LabRat

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hate to have to try and pick a ISP.

I been, and i know loads will laugh, with AOL for years and years and found there service is fine. Rarely have a problem.

And you do NOT have to use their own software - Just set up the router in the normal way and bobs our unk Very Happy
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankfully they have freed up there settings a bit so a standard router will now work easier with AOL... but not always the case.

Question... cheese, pm me your postcode/tel number and I'll do a line check to see what your local exchange supports....

Some exchanges and areas will only do 512kb a second.... so cable may be the best option.
DaCheese

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, family management have finally seen the shortcomings in the current service that Eclipse are providing and are now possibly going to jump ship. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: