Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just who are the admins?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanky_McCoy
Dirty Deeds Done Cheap(ish)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Just who are the admins? Reply with quote

As the title says who are the admins on the mad laps servers. I'm asking because there are certain occasions when to be honest arseholes come on the server and play up going backwards spamming chat that kind of thing which can turn an enjoyable 400mph drive into a rush hour commute.

Not asking for a complete list just the regulars so know who to politely ask to kick ass Twisted Evil
actual speed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, let me see, there's
DaMadman (of course Smile )
MMMBat (dishing up the Texas Takedown!)
Middenrat (Bail Bonds and Narco)
Wesley (The Laughing Policeman)
Bboy (Ward of Bruce Wayne and natty in tights)
Peto ('Doc', one of the scary Nutter Brothers)
who else?

Skin by Baino
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and....

Tred
Pepper
Crj_127
Racermark
ShadowFax

erm sorry if I missed someone gulp!

As the server mutates and people join and leave, and peoples gaming habits change, admins get added to try and fill the voids.......
Spanky_McCoy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers gents it's good to know who the demi gods of a server are Laughing

Now I know who to submit any particular complaints to Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how much you got to donate on that paypal button to get yourself admin rights???????

I'm just saying it as a warning because guys who played on my clans BF servers who donated started to expect admin rights even though they weren't members of the clan.

Although for a £20 donation if someone can build in a /makemiddenratsburgershackexplodeashepassesitifhe'sinfrontofspanky cheat for me then I'd make a more regular contribution Twisted Evil
actual speed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boss, I'm hurt by that, it's my livelihood after all.
You don't think I can keep in medication on the salary from Spanky-Tech Racing, do you?
ps any sign of December's cheque yet? Your dog ought to have shat it out by now surely Rolling Eyes

Skin by Baino
Spanky_McCoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middenrat wrote:
Boss, I'm hurt by that, it's my livelihood after all.

Worry not I'll request other cheat codes like...........

/makedutchyneedatriptothegents
/makemoldocraveaburgerrightnow
/makestevesbroadbandconnectionstopworking

Middenrat wrote:
You don't think I can keep in medication on the salary from Spanky-Tech Racing, do you?

Well depends if you need anything with more kick than an aspirin?.

Middenrat wrote:
ps any sign of December's cheque yet? Your dog ought to have shat it out by now surely Rolling Eyes

It's all about the money isn't it old bean not about the passion for racing or representing your country or getting away with being sneaky and devious.

Cheques been held up a by a postal strike I'm sure, probably been cashed by someone called Sanjay at the banks New Delhi call centre Shocked
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol that poor burger stands takes alot of abuse, normally in the form of me trying to land on it's roof from a great height.

Thanks for the warning on the donations by the way and rest assured that no matter how much anyone donates, the only thing it will buy them is a thanks from me and the knowledge that they've helped to keep the servers running. The donations amount is entirely up to the person who donates, and so far two donations have been gratefully received. ( £5 and £4 )
Spanky_McCoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad wrote:
lol that poor burger stands takes alot of abuse, normally in the form of me trying to land on it's roof from a great height.

Thanks for the warning on the donations by the way and rest assured that no matter how much anyone donates, the only thing it will buy them is a thanks from me and the knowledge that they've helped to keep the servers running. The donations amount is entirely up to the person who donates, and so far two donations have been gratefully received. ( £5 and £4 )

It's funny was going to mention about donations for the running costs and the button appeared when I visited the site, you must be psychic Laughing

It's one of those things when a server becomes popular a lot of the frequent users don't realise the more they visit the more it can cost the person who owns and runs it. The 2 dutch guys who started my clan had their first Desert Combat server stopped because they hit the traffic limit for it so the donations started to get it moved to a dedicated BF server and they never looked back only thing is the clan has gotten as big you don't know half the boys in it anymore which is a bad thing to be honest. On Ventrilo we all knew who was who then you'd have guys appearing who'd been made full members with out notification and you're telling them they shouldn't be in the members channel Laughing
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, when I first started i was on a 20GB usage limit... and when I hit 13GB they started to throttle the connection... I had to shut down for a few days in the month. Most home ISP's will not allow you to run servers, will happily shut you down and block all your useful ports.

As part of the business I sorted myself a connection, upload speed increased x3 and usage allowances increased. Current usage for the servers takes up around 70GB a month and ties up an old cctv DVR which I'm using as the server...

Last weekend we hit 45 players on the servers simultanously. This was an oversite on my part as I try and keep it around 30 max.
Spanky_McCoy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want it to become a business but the unfortunate thing with a lot of success is you need to spend more time dealing with the servers. My clan had at one point 15 admins on one server and at least 8 on the other 5 and we had to agree to do shifts on console to monitor player behaviour as people were donating so much money they expected professional levels of service Laughing Last time I logged in there donations target for all the server running costs was 750 euros a month which is ridiculous for a bunch of guys who just want to play games.

Can see why I play trackmania more than anything else now. Very Happy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

750 euros is cheep for running proper gaming servers like that.... amazing really when the games are £40+ to start with and people still end up paying fortunes to keep the thing going.

I needed the business connection anyway, so TM is kind of tagged on the side.

The various game models require that the games are run this way or that the gaming companies have other revenue streams to pay for the servers. The 'run your own server' model also allows us to heavily customise and control the servers which helps aid the clan/group mentality. The MMOG models however are moving away from this back to central servers. These are cheaper for the players, but less flexible. It will be interesting to see in the long term what server models emerge as the best compromise to multiplayer games and the way that the pricing models will change. I expect more and more PC games to be distributed free / cheap with revenue generated from monthly payments / addons / playing for money.
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky_McCoy wrote:
/makemoldocraveaburgerrightnow

That worked!

Wait. I always want burgers Razz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I expect more and more PC games to be distributed free / cheap with revenue generated from monthly payments / addons / playing for money

I'm used to the basic idea of going to a store, buying a game for £20-£35 and being good to go.

The newer idea of paying a set amount each month or having a free game which you need to spend money to get more than basic features is really not popular with myself. This model just screams 'hey the game is technically free or cheap guys, but uhh... you'll need to spend way more (than you would buying a full game from a store) if you actually want to be competitive".

I don't buy games very often at all, one of the last ones I did buy was Civilization 4, that cost me £30 or so.

I downloaded Albatross18, a "free" game. However without actually spending money on the game you can't hope to be competitive. I shelled out £20 and got about enough from that to have 30% of the game's content. If I wanted the "full-game", it would cost closer to £60.

So a full game like Civ 4 cost me £30. A full game of Alba (which is clearly not as good a game), would cost me £60. For games where you have to pay a monthly fee (I've never done this) it would be even more disproportional.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned when it comes to this, but I really hate the way things are going in multiplayer
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree, though I like to try well before I spend out £40 on a game. mostly to make sure my machine will handle it. If the game was good enough and the monthly charges cheap enough I would play on that basis... but in general yes, they are too expensive and to pay to be competitive is not a nice model.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: