Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another rant about Voting...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Supergrinch

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Another rant about Voting... Reply with quote

I'm sure this has been covered ad nauseum, but the whole voting for tracks thing is bogosity (bogusness?) of the highest regard. Some drivers like to go through the series of tracks, but voting means sometimes just doing a limited # of tracks as whatever jerkwad does thier personal thing (going for records/ learning new tracks/ whatever) often running just 3 to 5 tracks in a loop (if not back-to-back) and I can live with that.

But the concept that someone can join the track, vote tracks immediately before establishing themselves on the server, and then do whatever is a bad thing (trying not to swear). I've seen guys vote tracks, then wander off leaving thier car on the starting post while others are driving thier choices, or simply leaving after a race or two, leaving whatever tracks they loaded up still in the hopper. The very design of trackmania (not in officail mode when joining mid-race) just encourages an individual to kill those 2 minutes making thier first several tracks thier favorites instead of driving a pointless 1.8 laps.

One last thing. Nameless individuals should not look for gushing praise of a new record on a BRAND NEW TRACK YOU DESIGNED AND VOTED FOR.

Idiot

Thanks for letting me have my say. Love racing here with all you guys. Many fun hours. Maybe I'm the only one who feels like the voting should be closed. Maybe this should be part of another thread.

Anyway, shutting up now. See ya on the tracks guys!
JawZ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, i admit im a vote whore.

but i try to do it when no one or a few ppl are in server, if i know there are certain people in there that abso hate the track that i put in the vote alot i try avoid doing so.

Voices
KCMG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Another rant about Voting... Reply with quote

Supergrinch wrote:
One last thing. Nameless individuals should not look for gushing praise of a new record on a BRAND NEW TRACK YOU DESIGNED AND VOTED FOR.

However it is nice to have any records especially when your new

.... when i 1st started making tracks i had 0 top 5 records and 0 sector records and finishing within 10 seconds of 1st record was a successful race. Therefore a little bonus of having a new track was that you could have the great feeling of a top 5 or even number 1 record

However i would say to everyone that if you are going to vote more than 1 track in an hour or so it would be good manners to ask everyone if they didn't mind

also if you do vote try to vote for a wide range of tracks so it's not always the same one and definately not just few of your own (I used to do this now i never vote for my own track more than once a week)

although anything done to the voting system would just be
a) another thing on mad's long to do list
b) could end up being worse than the problem and quite annoying
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember Vince? French dude who would vote up a stack then sit back and watch?
Banned Twisted Evil

but fellahs who (against the odds, uploads are like hen's teeth) succeed in getting a track on the server then vote it up to establish a record...
just humour them. They don't get out much Wink

Skin by Baino
Tred
Duracell Bunny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you've got the 200+ tracks that are on the mad laps server now, you have to have some sort of voting thing otherwise people may spend months without racing their favourite tracks. Of course, with voting we end up racing many of the tracks multiple times as people vote them up, but in general most people won't vote most of the time.

Anyways, if someone does come on and keeps voting up the same tracks again and again, then come on here, and send one of the admins a pm telling them about it - they can sort things out without even loading up trackmania Wink

LALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU

JawZ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tracks as they are, i believe are in approx a 24 hour cycle

im finding myself playing the same tracks daily

HotSWAT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middenrat wrote:
but fellahs who (against the odds, uploads are like hen's teeth) succeed in getting a track on the server then vote it up to establish a record...
just humour them. They don't get out much Wink

ehem...yeh..eh, sorry bout that hehe
Dirty Deeds Done Cheap(ish)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Another rant about Voting... Reply with quote

Supergrinch wrote:
Thanks for letting me have my say. Love racing here with all you guys. Many fun hours. Maybe I'm the only one who feels like the voting should be closed. Maybe this should be part of another thread.

Anyway, shutting up now. See ya on the tracks guys!

I'm not quite as pissed off with it as you but there are certain people who need to pack it in because I do get sick fed up of racing the same tracks four times in the space of an hour.

I dunno if it is possible but each racer should have a limit on the amount of votes they can have because some really bloody abuse the facility and it has made me leave the server some nights having to race sweeping gp 4 effing times in a hour because someone wants to improve their PB.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I'd like to see a limit imposed on the amount of times Sweeping GP can come up in 24 hours.

I'm just as guilty as anyone on the voting thing. I sometimes vote up my tracks, although there are so many good ones on the server that it's often nice just to browse the list and see what you can find. I don't know if the praise issue was amed at me but I know it applies to me. I'd like to say that I never expect praise for a track or a record, in fact whether or not it's true I always feel that my tracks are among the worst and least popular on the server so I'm always suprised if somebody has praise for one of them.

It's a tricky one as we all have our likes and dislikes when it comes to tracks. There's no simple solution, although I think a period of time after voting in which you can't vote would be a good idea in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great thoughts. Let me say I had no idea there were so many tracks on the server, I can see the point to the vote system when there's hours and hours of tracks. Confused

I honestly don't remember who I was hacked off at at the time, but it wasn't important (I don't think they were a peep). I just had to post a thought so I could let go of it. And as many posts note, a couple tracks is never a problem, and when people ask about voting up tracks, I've never seen the group say 'no'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: