Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joker
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Events and Challenges
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Joker Reply with quote

Just an idea for next season ... Who remembers It's a Knockout? Teams could, BEFORE a challenge, opt to play their Joker if they thought it was a strong round for them. The prize would be double points in that round. I wonder if it would be fun to have each team (or each racer) allocated 1 Joker which them must declare before a particular challenge. To make it more valuable, instead of simply doubling the points for that round, they would have to finish in, say, the top 5 to get their double points.

Just a thought, anyway. Might overcomplicate things ...
McInSanE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great idea actually.. ..but i don't know if this would work..
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a fun idea, just what a flying circus like this needs Laughing (as a Team strategy).
No need to restrict the points to top5 finishers though, even also-rans can play this to their best tactical advantage.
THe pressure to at least finish in order to benefit would be a great wind-up for mediocre competitors like myself.

Skin by Baino
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't be very obvious.. "I really told them I'm using my joker today" "You're just saying that because you won"

Also.. some people will have a hard time ending up in the top5 so I don't think that's really fair

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PelicansMoldo wrote:
Won't be very obvious.. "I really told them I'm using my joker today" "You're just saying that because you won"

It would not be announced in the game - you'd have to post it up in this forum. You'd have a whole day to decide if you liked the track and post your joker. You could even race with a J at the start of your nickname or something.
PelicansMoldo wrote:
Also.. some people will have a hard time ending up in the top5 so I don't think that's really fair

Yes, I think you and Midden are right here. Double points all round would be nice. I was just trying to make it more of a gamble.

OR EVEN!!!!

If you didn't finish in your Joker race, you would LOSE points! Hahahah!
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea. It would have to be posted on the forums before the race.

Losing all your points... HAhahahahhahaaahaaaa.

I think a top five finish is not required. lets face it double 2 points is only four and when your down at my current level, every four helps :O
McInSanE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the idea of losing some points (not all of them cause it would be impossible to recover at the end of a season..)
i'd say a max lose of 25 if you don't finish your joker race
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually.. I think you'll have to have a rule that sais you have to use your joker. Otherwise people aren't going to use it at all to prevent the possibility of losing points.

Also, will it be possible to go under 0 points? ^^

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't really thinking of losing all your points! Maybe just losing x points, where x is a number between (x-1) and (x+1). A penalty of say 10 points would be apt, I think, as the difference between that and what a successful Joker could be worth would be 60 points.

Posting on here prior to the race and having a special nickname modifier would prevent retrospective Jokering. It would be nice to see who was on a Joker in the race too, so you could beep them as you overtake them.
Tred
Duracell Bunny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I like it, but I'm a touch worried about the posting on the forums that you're playing it, as the tracks aren't always on the server until a few hours before the race, and some people don't get much of a chance to practice on them (myself for one Razz). Plus of course, using buttercup I can't just minimise the game quickly and post, as it takes a good few mins for the poor old girl to figure out whats going on Razz

Surely if you say that you're playing your joker in the server then that would be in the log and mad could check it if theres any argument? (not trying to make your life harder mad, honest Wink)

LALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU

Medi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think having something like -J- in front of your name should be enough. No way to change it midgame anyway and clearer for Moldo (or someone else who manages scores) too, as he'll only have to list of results instead of having to look on the forums too.

I like the idea, however losing points for not finishing isn't great I think. I for one disconnected about 40% of the races I was racing, and there will be others too who disconnect. I think 'wasting' your joker is punishment enough already.

Another question I have is: would the joker count for the weekend or the race?
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medi wrote:
would the joker count for the weekend or the race?

I was thinking a single race, as it would be double the points for that race only.

[RFR]Tred wrote:
the tracks aren't always on the server until a few hours before the race

Good point, but it's the same for everyone, I suppose.
Dantski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really like this idea. It seems like it would only increase the gap between the teams pointwise.

Perhaps it could be made that all 3 drivers score points for their team in a 'joker' race.
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i reckon you'd ALL have to finish to get the multiplier, would make selection nice n critical.

Skin by Baino
McInSanE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So maybe we do sth. like a Team Joker?
That way, you can have even more than 1 and everyone of the team has to finish to double points...
Dale Earnhardt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not liking the idea of the joker... It seems like it just complicates the point system way more than it needs to, personally I don't see anything wrong with the way it is now, so I see no reason to add something in like this... Just my thoughts.
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your thoughts have been noted....

Moving on...... Smile

I quite like the idea, whenever someone is on the joker, i think everyone would try that little bit harder to try and stop them getting extra points. Like mid said, for the team joker, if we are going to have one, everyone has to finish. And i think a team joker would be better than individual.
retoon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate the idea. atm i think its down to who is the better racers and team, but putting something like this in would, like bboy said "it just complicates the point system". and i think its just trying to add something that doesnt need adding. i am someone that trys to win everything i do and gets pissed if i dont win, but am ok with being beaten by a better player. if i was to crash out while having the joker in-play, i think i would quit the championship, and i dont want to do that. i dont think people would try harder to stop someone getting extra points because the way i see it, if you can see them on track then you can take them. if you cant see them still race your best because you dont know whos behind you. if it was to happen then it should be that all the drivers for the team have to finish in the points. but how do you work it for team bentley. there may be someone that doesnt make it into a team so there default in team bentley. they may be fighting for 1st in tghe table but theres going to be more than 3 players in that team and if they dont get to use a joker they will miss out on individual points and team points. also (yes theres more). also its hard to get all the team members together to choose when to use it. alot of the players arent active members of the forum and dont show up untill 10 mins before the racing starts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you've got some points there retoon, it would not be productive to introduce a basically light-hearted element when some are so set against it... so please try and see it as just that: light-hearted and a bit, well, MAD!
Your gaming philosophy which you outline is pretty hardcore, which goes some way to illustrate your keenness as a competitor. Mad Laps though is just a bit of fun Surprised so there'd be no need to fall on your sword just for bombing out - i do it all the time in GPs.
It is a fair point you make about playing a Bentley Joker, so we could make it up to the individual when to play it in that case.
Difficulties in forming a team strategy will only enhance the chances of those players better able to act as a team: fair enough in a Team Championship imo.
Please keep on raising your doubts, they help us make the Formula as good as it can be Smile

Skin by Baino
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's all for fun, but I agree on retoon. A joker isn't that bad, but a team joker just wouldn't work. Too many things that can go wrong (what retoon said) ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Events and Challenges All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: