Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternative GP? [rounds]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Events and Challenges
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JawZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Alternative GP? [rounds] Reply with quote

any possibilty to get a gp rounds event going every now and then.

with laps consisting of seasons, would it be too much to erm setup a gp rounds as a knockout tounement, like an FA Cup of the MAD community.

team rounds? or single rounds?

or a round season if you can work out a way to incorparate it.

if you were doing pools youd have to arrange a time to be with that person, could end up being long winded...

just a wild idea warping bout in my head, especially while of late, the rounds server has been populated.
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just set it to point limit 200 or so. I think we had this discussion once?
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 point limit. I like it.

I once entered a CZ rounds tourny; the servers were left on for 2 days with 10 tracks in cycle. The top 20 (calculated by records, I think) went through to a 1-hour final where every track had a 33-point rounds game, and the winners' scores were added up.

The top 10 went through to a semi, then the top 5 duked it out.
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow Bunsen, that format sounds intensive, can you fit it into an evening?

Skin by Baino
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took several days ... Not sure if it's wholly suitable tbh.

However, if we had say 10 tracks, we could arrange it so that we start with ?25 people, and at the end of each game of rounds (make it 30 points or something) the bottom 2 are eliminated. By the last round there would be ............ .. . . .. . .. . 7 left in the grand final. The tricky bit is getting the starting number I think, because if you're oversubscribed, who doesn't play? The server holds max 25?
Dantski

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you even want to include an elimination feature? I figure it's more fun for everyone to drive every track instead of forcing them to watch.

I know on rare occasions (sadly) in [z] we have super sundays which basically works like this...

Someone 'sponsors' the day and picks the tracks (6-8 probably best, note we use 32 point limit), then 1st-10th get 10-1pts respectively and the rest 0. The sponsor takes screenshots and adds up the scores either later or during the races.

This method ensures everyone races every race that they want to. THe only slight drawback is that we often had problems with people leaving/joining because of it taking so long, but that should be simple to fix.
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dantski wrote:
Do you even want to include an elimination feature? I figure it's more fun for everyone to drive every track instead of forcing them to watch.

This is only because of the limited number of slots available. It has to be whittled down to a last 25 or whatever.

Dantski wrote:
Someone 'sponsors' the day and picks the tracks (6-8 probably best, note we use 32 point limit), then 1st-10th get 10-1pts respectively and the rest 0. The sponsor takes screenshots and adds up the scores either later or during the races.

That's great, but the original post was about a knockout "cup" style competition rather than a league.
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about with a qualifying section..... it could be a records based championship.... with a final.

ie 6 tracks on the challenge server for 1 week.
points awarded for record slots held at the end if the week.

top X racers qualify for a 3 round final on 3 different tracks at the end.

This way anyone can enter, we fix the slots for the final but you have to earn your position...... could throw up a few surprises me thinks Smile
Dutchy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea, leaving the server up for a week devoid of records then top 25 drivers go through to a shoot-out. Not sure only 3 rounds though, seems to risky to have a couple od bad rounds in a row, plus it wouldn't take that long. Maybe more like 5-6?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and the final track would probably have to be the same as the practice ones or some people would have a clear advantage. Sounds like a winner!
JawZ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunsenjetson wrote:
Yes, and the final track would probably have to be the same as the practice ones or some people would have a clear advantage. Sounds like a winner!

or like for laps weekends the final rounds ones are made fresh out the bucket...though that puts more pressure on our resident track designers?
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kinda depends on the time of the year, but if it's interesting enough I'll just try to be there, no matter what kind of race it is. Always nice to have different modes
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tracks would have to be either brand new or well established. If they are 3-4 weeks old, there's a good chance some people might not have seen them more than a couple of times.
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep learning tracks is a problem now with so many in the rotation a track can get lost for months and noone really masters them like we used to. Would appreciate your thoughts.
Dutchy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe for the first ones. use rounds tracks that are more popular then if the track-mkers have time some specially made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Events and Challenges All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: