Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mad wants computing help....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Mad wants computing help.... Reply with quote

You may have noticed that I keep promising things and not exactly producing when it comes to server stats, controller updates etc but I havent given up. I have a plan.

Had a flip around with aseco / remotecp3 and linux tm server this week
- aseco
just does records
you need 3 copies running to power 3 servers
loads of commands in game total overload
if you switch gametype and settings then records get wiped....... not good as we constantly mess with the servers and interchange things.

- remotecp3
does most of the stuff mine does except records and looks pretty
not as easy to use as mine things are a bit buried
there is no central track store so tracks have to be uploaded to each server.

- tmos
I've been running it for a few weeks and it's interesting.
requires updating periodically
gets every race regardless of whether the controller is running
causes massive lag for each update
has an open display for web users to check server status

- linux works the server well but can't run my controller.....

PLAN.....
All three controls run from PHP in a web browser. a very easy language to learn and code.
I want to combine the three ideas into a new mad server controller. one that is simple, powerful and more accessible than my current version. - has to be compiled, relies on microsoft software etc etc
It will address all the faults listed above and maybe a community project.. ie several members here have some computing knowhow or desires.......

workings....
I want to strip aseco back to raw basics and will come up with a modular frame.. aseco is like that anyhow - Mads job
then we rebuild it as we see fit - anybodies job to chip in

It will be written in PHP - a very simple scripting language that any coder can easily use.
Ideals for tools etc welcome and coders... even if you think your not good at it, I'll layout some basics and even design the modules/sections that need coding to get you started......

anyone interested in coding let me know.....

It will also handle championship races, results tables, website stats remote control, etc and all the tools we have at the moment including the fabulous coloured chat routine. We should be able to bash it out fairly quickly...

Thanks
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to help Laughing

Doing vb and access for my project - vb for interface, link it to database on access. Simple stuff.

But my lecturer said if you want, you can do it in php and mysql, or other languages, so i'd like to see how i get on with php. . .but, big but, if you choose any other language other than vb ver 6, the lecturers cant give any assistance because of college rules Crying or Very sad I'd also have to do it alone. I think he said assistance from any programmers, or anyone, isnt permitted.
Medi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm quite busy with school and stuff but would love to help out in a small way. I'm not very good at PHP but have been learning it on my own last couple of months besides school/gaming/other hobbies so I may be able to help slightly

So yeah, I'd like to help but don't have the time to do a lot of programming. I may have a few hours a week but don't think that's all that productive is it? If there is anything else I can do though, just tell me.
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice idea - I must say that I'm totally useless to help make it real, I know nothing about PHP
But if the result will be what you've promised mad, then I can't wait ^^
DaCheese

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with steve, I've been getting to grips with the old VB since starting college. The difference, however, is that I'm not great at it. I'll give PHP a go, but I know nothing about it and I'm a touch limited for time. So at the moment I can't promise anything.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks guys... If you want to do it for a college study then how about a bolt on package.......part of a project. if it's big enough the part should count as a project on it's own, especially if you do the leg work on that section.

Large sections could be a competition module that handles records, results, championship tables etc and displays the relevant web pages. or maybe the control interface addon for aseco to control the server, show the status, records etc all as part of the core project..... I'm sure we can come to some arrangement. you can even pass my works contact details onto your lecturers if you want them to contact me. I won't drop you in it, and we could work something out with them to help get it right.

As for others I can spec out the modules to make it as easy as possible on your part... we will all learn something. PHP is a great language to learn with. It covers the basics very well.
DaCheese

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I think I'm supposed to do all of my stuff in VB6. Still, worth thinking about...my lecturer's a bit of a tool anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this makes sense, but i have to use a 'proper' language, and php is a web based language so it doesnt count. So i cant use php. But it would be nice to learn the basics of other languages as it would probably help my understanding of how programming works etc...
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok then, no probs, we work as a team and we should get it up and running fine.

As for PHP being a proper language........
IT DARN IS.
It works on many different operating systems, does 90% of what vb does, easier and more reliably and an extra load of stuff that vb doesn't touch. It also doesn't push you down the narrow stupid holes that microsoft want to put you in.

For instance your saying your project is in vb6 with access db......
for each machine as a developer that used to cost a total of £2000 per machine and thats excluding the price of windows. you'll soon discover that access is no where near big enough, reliable enough or flexible enough for any real work projects and that you'll have to upgrade to MSDE or Sql Server and then it begins to cost a fortune and get very complicated. on the other hand.... PHP is free, apache server is free, mysql is massive and erm free and there are simply thousands of forums, projects and tools out their to help you. also PHP will not be replaced next year with the new incompatible one, so your project will have a much longer life span. rant rant rant. do not take the microsoft sales from your lecturers... it sucks. I know I've been there and worked it.
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lecturer hates microsoft. Every oppurtunity he gets to put microsoft down - he takes it. If it was any other business, or anything else, it would get tiring, but as its microsoft, it absolutly fine Laughing

And i didnt mean php wasnt a proper language, i kind of meant, it isnt suitable for what were doing.
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh i know steve.... I'm just learning it myself and it's a breath of fresh air.

I used to develop in foxpro 2.6.. until ms bought it out. development was very fast, very reliable and very easy. whilst it wasnt the most flexible package, for the customers and the developers it remains the most productive tool I have ever used. PHP is on those lines, only more flexible and more powerful when linked to the right packages. VB on the other hand is pure overambitious bloat. I wrote a system in vb6 that ran on a p133 with 16mb of ram. I cannot match it's performance in vb.net on a 2ghz machine with 512mb...... progress.
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a shame, programmers and the ide's are getting lazy because people have better computers. Code used to have to be kept clean, and tidy or it would eat to much of the computers ram, and it would go really slow, so people wouldnt buy it. But now, the average system is probably has 1gb of ram, maybe 512mb. Because of this, they dont have to keep things tidy, so the programs take up loads of ram, but computers can handle it.

So businesses can spend less time on fixing/debugging previous versions, and more time rushing the next version out to get more money Crying or Very sad

Edit: This is drifting a bit of topic Razz
DaCheese

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve wrote:
Code used to have to be kept clean, and tidy or it would eat to much of the computers ram, and it would go really slow, so people wouldn't buy it.

"Vista!" Cough cough, ahem. Sorry, please excuse me.

The hating Microsoft thing seems to be a universal thing for lecturers, because mine's the same. Every chance he gets, he takes...not that I'm going to complain.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are two camps in computing...

The blind and the lame. Smile

The blind follow ms down a horrible path of endless money grabbing and slow buggy tough luck if it don't work software. ms are very much in teh business of selling new computers and new software.

The lame go round hampered by the fact that most main stream users will only use ms and have never considered anything else.

Most serious developers reach the same conclusion at some point and the ms anger burns deep Smile hmmm ms, strange how they share their name with a horrible affliction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: