Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how do you guys race
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaCheese

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use the keyboard two-handed (left index finger for accelerate/brake, right index and middle fingers for steering), but I got sick of getting a complete pasting from everybody. I bought a device that lets you plug a Playstation 2 pad into a USB port. Works nicely, shaves a few seconds off my times too, but I still get a complete pasting from you all. It also steers to one side off the start if the analogue stick's not centred itself, which isn't great for the rounds tracks with PF starts.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a saitek controller but use the acc/brake buttons so that I can correct rotation etc and slide on corners... though my sliding is not an art form Smile.

The analogue steering helps when lining up big jumps.

If I use a kb, then it has to be two handed. being a bbc micro addict years ago all games were zx and '/ so steering is left handed. unlike others ( commodore I think ) where az<> were often used.
retoon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb with right hand driving and left on tab and ` keys to see whos infront of me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad wrote:
If I use a kb, then it has to be two handed. being a bbc micro addict years ago all games were zx and '/ so steering is left handed. unlike others ( commodore I think ) where az<> were often used.

I'm exactly the same, except it was a Spectrum. There was a "keyboard joystick" arrangement (q,a - up, down; o,p - left, right) which has stuck with me for years. GP3 used a,z,<,> which I used, but now I have to redefine them every few weeks as I actually wore out a key on my laptop playin TMN Sad
JawZ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i miss my days of playing gp3 over out network Sad
Pepper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you well know how to slide, there are some nice servers which are dedicated to this way to drive. I think about Real F1 Racing as a real good drifting server where it is really much appreciated Mr. Green (just a joke Tred)
Some Racing madlaps are also really good for it (Interlagos ? Mr. Green Short1, and so on)
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuckle Pepper Laughing

Skin by Baino
CRJ 127
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play GP3 a lot but ( steering wheel, manual gears etc, spending hours in set up and practice, qualifying..........yawn ), but never online or lan. Would be great to play something like that now, maybe toned down a little to accomodate a little contact ; )

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Logitech G15 Keyboard. I have arrow keys for turning and space for brake.

I actually have both down and space bound to brake... I initially thought that it braking was faster when pressing both keys.. til I realised it was just that I had to take my finger off the accelerator longer to press the down arrow Wink

I slide excessively. A habit i'm trying to brake, I slide in places where it only ever loses me time.

I also have a tendency to throw my car ass first into corners. Sometimes to my advantage, Nobody ever beats me round the hairpin on Mad Laps Monaco. because I flick my car around in mid air, land it backwards and am already facing down the hill Very Happy
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRJ 127 wrote:
I used to play GP3 a lot but ( steering wheel, manual gears etc, spending hours in set up and practice, qualifying..........yawn ), but never online or lan. Would be great to play something like that now, maybe toned down a little to accomodate a little contact ; )

I don't think you could play it online, but I did have a few LAN games. I used to enjoy setting it up and stuff, especially when you qualified badly and had to get a fantastic start to get past the Minardis by corner 1. A few weeks ago Panza posted about a new game that's F1 based, online and has all the tinkering you want. I played the demo and it was pretty good, but I've forgotten what it's called ... 1 min ...
DaCheese

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found an ideal controller for would-be drift gods. I thought I'd try my £15 MadCatz wired PS3 pad on my PC as it uses a USB connection. XP installed it automatically and it works nicely. The X, square, circle and triangle buttons aren't great and the analogue sticks have a slightly bigger neutral zone than my old PS2 pad but the triggers on the back are less heavily sprung than on a Sixaxis. On TMN, the independent control of accelerate and brake means drifting, and lots of it...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Saitek dual analog gamepad. I used to use the left analog stick for steering and the right for acc/brake but now i`ve gone over to using the buttons for acc/brake but still use the left analog stick to steer. I feel I get better controll over the car using the buttons and it has improved my pb`s.
HotSWAT

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the new endurance sections are brilliant to slide.
S5 and S7 are now my favourite tracks on Mad Laps.
they start you off by making u slide, that way, u can control your slides before you start off making slides by yourself.

and i race as close to the sides as possible without touching them.
and i drift....alot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunsenjetson wrote:
CRJ 127 wrote:

I don't think you could play it online, but I did have a few LAN games. I used to enjoy setting it up and stuff, especially when you qualified badly and had to get a fantastic start to get past the Minardis by corner 1. A few weeks ago Panza posted about a new game that's F1 based, online and has all the tinkering you want. I played the demo and it was pretty good, but I've forgotten what it's called ... 1 min ...

i dunno if you could get hamachi to work with it to create a virtual lan.

mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean swat, those track get me sliding out of the corners with a huge grin on my face.
DaCheese

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, we all know that the TMN form of drifting (i.e. laying a couple of black lines but getting less sideways than a train) isn't real drifting...
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

believe me cheese when I say you really can get totally sideways and stick it rounds the bends...... it's not easy but it really does happen.
JawZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

made it happen on a bend on 1st gp track today >_>

Ste-Unit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a normal keyboard too with the up down left right arrows.

I tend to drift alot when it comes to cornering, but that causes me to slide outwards towards the wall. On banked turns (which have a small hump before them) I jump sideways and land in a drift.

But panza..my driving techniques NEARLY work. Getting better though Smile
DodgyGeezer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe in light of all the sliding action in the f1 gp at the weekend RFR will reconsider there dodgy ban on sliding.. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: