Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winter 07 Raceweek #2 Hawaii Meeting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Events and Challenges
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think starting next week, posting it here would stretch the screen so I'll just put a link to the table

First race I should have won, one stupid mistake and that Matra boy comes by.. Wink Second race I'm glad I was second, cause at the start I was like 14th... Though I must say I'm quite lucky to finish both, as both times I had a few nearly fatal crashes.

Oh, and for Panza, I think he has a point. In cycle-racing (is that's what it's called in English? You know, Tour de France etc) you don't lose any time on the winner if you crash in the last 3 km. Maybe we could do something like this in the Mad Laps; crashing in the last 2 or 3 laps or so would give you points as if you finished last.
Medi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I won't say anything more to the matter than that I'd regret seeing you leave Panza, as you are a great driver. Like some said before me, we're only 1/4 way through and yesterday's tracks were really hard. Although I take pride in being 6th on the standings now I know I can(and probably will) lose it next week. In the end the listings are not that important to me, because I know everyone who is racing the GP's is a great driver. Yesterday's second race I ended third which really gave me a great feeling, and although you may not finish third next week or the week after that someday you might and trust me, it's the best feeling I had playing Trackmania. Podium was a goal for me, and you have probably a goal for yourself. Be it finishing a race, top 10, top 3 or winning one, achieving that goal makes you feel really good. Quitting the GP's would mean you can't achieve that goal anymore, which would really be a shame.

Anyway, hope I am clear in what I wrote.

Quote:
Well, I won't say anything more to the matter than that I'd regret seeing you leave Panza

Ok, so I did...Razz

It were really good races yesterday guys, the tracks were hard but in my opinion quite interesting. Can't wait till next week Very Happy

EDIT:
That rule in the tour de france is for safety(savety?) reasons. Because everyone (sprinters and overall-cyclists (Armstrong and the like) doesn't want to lose time they want to be in front of the peloton so they can't lose time if there is a gap. In Trackmania there is no such danger, because others can't slow you down so you can't lose time, and savety isn't important anyway.
Like Tred, if we were to put that line up at 2 laps before finish, what if someone crashed just before that point. In the end there should be a border somewhere as to what is and what isn't an achievement worthy of deserving points. If points were handed just to everyone, what would be the value of the points?

Last edited by Medi on Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean moldo, but they only have the rule that you dont lose any time on the leader under the 1k barrier, because its so tightly packed, and one mistake, one touch of wheels at the front could bring down everyone. Then a few from the middle/back of the pack, creep through the crash because they can see whats going on, and have time to react, They then go on and finish, gaining minutes on the leaders because their still at the crash.

However, by the time it gets to lap 22+ on the GP's, its very rare that even 3 people still have a chance of winning, so i sont think this rule would work.

If you crash out on the last lap, maybe you should get points, but only once the time runs out. You then get the next position after the last person finished in the time allowed.

Example - Maybe if you were 5th, getting 11 points, crashed out on the last lap, and 3 people finish in the time. The first 4 are not affected, the 3 that finished in the time get 5th, 6th and 7th, so you get points for 8th.

Hopefully that makes sense.

==============================================

And, can we have a thread for rules please.

Such as:
- (im going to be kicked in the nuts for this) talking while others are still racing.

- if two racer finish with the same time. Trackmania puts one infront of the other, but i think they should get the same points, then skip a position.

==============================================

To all - this is about doing your best, not being the best Wink
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(im going to be kicked in the nuts for this) talking while others are still racing.
I totally agree. I don't mind if someone's out and he sais Ah dam I'm out, and someone else sais UL or whatever. But yesterday was really annoying when maybe 8 people were out and having a conversation, especially when they started talking about us. "Let's spectate Moldo how he's reeling in Dantski", "Let's spectate Dantski to give him pressure". I'm sorry you crashed but this was not nice of you guys.

By the way, just tell me if I'm being childish and to just get over it.
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting points of view are being expressed but they all diminish the clarity of the current rulebook, never mind ease-of-use.
I don't think any of you should be expecting points for falling off, basically. Bite the bullet and adapt your driving style to ensure a Finish: that's the way to get on in this series of GP25-lap races. If you're charging in the last laps to advance a position and you fall off, well you failed to protect the points you had in the bag. A lesson can be learned from this or you can attempt to change the rules to your advantage. Guess which is the way of wisdom.

Skin by Baino
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No points for not finishing then Twisted Evil

What about talking??
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not talking? impossible to legislate for, even if desirable. Some barracking from the stands is to be expected as Teams intensify their rivalry, though threats of ganging up in Spec to distract a racer are pretty puerile.
Keep it good-humoured and I don't think anyone can have serious complaint: no-one is forced to read the Chat.

Skin by Baino
DaCheese

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many other drivers have said, the tracks were evil distilled (Hawaii especially). I'm hoping for some easier tracks that we all know; it's nice to know that there are new ones coming soon but in all honesty I'd rather have them on the main laps server for a fortnight before they make a GP appearance. This allows people to get used to them and the builders can get some feedback on them from drivers. I realise that the challenge server is generally open for practise on a Friday night, but by then the selection is made and the tracks are raced exactly as they are.

The rule debate is a tricky one. Somebody said that if there is a point-scoring cutoff, there will eventually be somebody who crashes just before it. I'd agree with that. I think the rules are best left as they are; if you crash, blame it on the track like I do!

Panza, having only scored finished one of the four races so far myself I can understand what you're saying; whatever you decide to do will be fine by me, although like Medi I'd regret you leaving.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guys i made my decision

i am not going to drop out as i have read all your feedbacks on this matter and i thank you for your sympathy and your feedback

after reading these i can see how non finishers or restarting would be very hard to monitor

anyways going back to what you say about chat in racing time i do agree with mentioning no names {ie one of my team mates}i seen them giving the top couple of drivers a hard time saying they were been watched and no added pressure

its hard enough as i no to race ever mind ppl trying to grab your attention to read the screen with critisms about you

i know its a laugh trying to get the better drivers to crash out but its not fair i was guilty of weaving when matrabboy lapped me to put off our competitors so we could get a race win not wise of me

by the way i did enjoy the tracks last night i didnt think they were extremly hard they were quite fun just the race pressure and blocked view makes them harder

see you guys on the track keep up the god work and thanks for your support its heartening lol
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to patronise you with praise Panza, I'm thinking it though Very Happy

Skin by Baino
Medi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you give it another go Panza Smile

I personally don't mind the chat, but that may be because I'm not interesting to talk about Razz .
Restricting the talking would be a bad call I think cause it gives people something to do besides telling teammates their times.

On a different note....
Say we were in the last weekend, with Voices 3 points away from winning the racers championship and I were racing in front of Voices, would I be allowed to let him get past me?
Although nothing of that kind has happened so far, it may be better to have a clear picture on it before they happen.
Tred
Duracell Bunny

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the chat - I see no reason to restrict people from chatting after they've crashed, although deliberately attempting to distract those still racing is what I would consider "ungentlemanly conduct"....

Remember, if the chat really bothers you, turn the HUD off with * yes it means you can't see the checkpoint times or what lap you're on, but if you're not close enough to see the guy in front, then you're going to struggle to pass him aren't you? Razz
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medi wrote:
Good to see you give it another go Panza Smile

On a different note....
Say we were in the last weekend, with Voices 3 points away from winning the racers championship and I were racing in front of Voices, would I be allowed to let him get past me?
Although nothing of that kind has happened so far, it may be better to have a clear picture on it before they happen.

Team Orders are IN Laughing nothing could be finer imo Twisted Evil

Skin by Baino
CRJ 127
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh !! and as another day dawns, all is well in MAD wOrld Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
actual speed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, beautiful work with the Table, Moldo. It's better than i could imagine Very Happy
I'd like to set up a Sticky for it so ppl can find it more easily, and it can be as wide as needs be.

Skin by Baino
retoon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to see you not leaving panza and good work with the table moldo. i dont think there should be a cut off, if there person in 4th is just infront of you and you are in 5th with just 5 laps to go you are going to push everywhere you can to get the extra points. if you just happen to turtle or come off the track then you shouldnt get anymore points than if someone crashed on the first lap, if you havent made it to the finish line then you shouldnt get any points. The same goes if your in a curtain 3rd and you make a small mistake and crash out.

the tracks this week were harder than what we are use to, be it gives us a challenge. i think making them less deadly just isnt MAD.

there is nothing we can do about the poeple that have crashed out and have started talking but i dont think its fair that they all start specing someone just to put them off isnt fair. you wouldnt like so dont do it to others.

finaly i think team orders should be sorted out with your team members.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dutchy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I know its not great quality and its pretty boring because its only my view of what happened, but posted a video of the Honduras Gp on YouTube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONk93LGrkA8

This is my first attempt at a video so please bear this in mind. Also if anyone else has the programmes to record from a game and gets some clips then send em over to me and maybe I can knock something better up.

Working on the 2nd of the two from last night at the minute hopefully it will be a drastic improvement on this one.

Dutchmeister[/url]
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The url contained a malformed video id. " Nice idea though, like to see it
Dutchy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONk93LGrkA8

Sorry guys somehow a fullstop had appeared at the end of the link Embarassed

By the by, Moldo loving your work with the tables.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice vid Dutchy, you captured one my crashes nicely Surprised

About what Steve said, I think talking in race is generally fine. I know I read about half the chat during races and I'm not bothered by it. However obviously people shouldn't try to put people off. I know turning off the HUD would suck for me as I like to know not only how close the person in front is, but also the person behind. Until those darn wing mirrors work I have to rely on it.

I do think that you shouldn't spectate individual drivers though (any way to turn the little blue spec box off?), as it can be fairly distracting. I know there's a rule in a current tournament STC4 that all spectators must be in free mode and it works fine (blimp view man!) and I'd encourage doing that. I know speccing from the drivers perspective is better to watch, but I think the driver deserves to have what he/she wants in this case, over the person who crashed.

On another note.

DaCheese wrote:
I'm hoping for some easier tracks that we all know; it's nice to know that there are new ones coming soon but in all honesty I'd rather have them on the main laps server for a fortnight before they make a GP appearance

Actually I'd be against this. I like the current setup since it pits virtually everyone (except trackmaker + mad?) in the same position of ignorance. It would also hurt me a bit since pretty much everyone here races more on the laps server than me.

And lastly on the subject of team orders...

Hey Steve. You better let me past you every race, or I'll kick you in the nuts!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Events and Challenges All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: