Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New graphics card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaCheese

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: New graphics card Reply with quote

Ordered a new graphics card tonight to replace the 64 mb excuse for one I blagged off JonnyGreenGiant when he upgraded his PC. In order for you to tell me that I've bought something rubbish, I'll give you a description. No, actually, I'm too lazy for that. Here's a list of stuff about it that I stole from Amazon:

Sapphire X1650 Pro 512mb AGP VGA
RADEON" X1650 PRO core
256MB DDR2/GDDR3
AGP
CrossFire" Support
Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0c / OpenGL 2.0 acceleration
Avivo" Technology
3D Graphics Resolution of 2560x1600 Max
TV-Out
Smoothvision HD + Adaptive AA
Vido acceleration of :MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, WMV9, VC-1, and H.264

I chose this one because JGG uses one very similar and I've seen it running Stadium on United. This has twice as much memory as his though. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lot better than the one i had in my old PC, and even that ran TMN fine.

You wont have any problems running TMN or TMU on that.
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not being cheeky, or if i am, please say, and dont answer, but how much did you pay for that??

Better than the one i got now, waiting for my 1 year warranty to run out, then let the upgrading commence Razz Razz
DaCheese

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£55, £61 if you include postage, from an Amazon seller. I'm not sure if it's still in production. Also bear in mind that it uses an AGP connection to the motherboard; if your PC's only a year or so old you may need a PCI-Express card. I suspect you already know that Steve as you seem a lot more clued up about technical stuff about PCs than me, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, yep, im pci-express.

Also, i find www.overclockers.co.uk is good for computer parts/peripherals and odd bits and pieces. Wink
panza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im also pci e as youve prob seen my spec but as far as agp cards go its not a bad one

used to have a saphire x1950 pro in old machine and i must say they are impressive for the money

make sure you use the latest drivers and dont run all the catylist crap they give you,just the display driver

also never overclock them as there already tweaked up and youll just cock it up and over work it

enjoy your new card and looks m8 good luck
DaCheese

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panza wrote:

make sure you use the latest drivers and dont run all the catylist crap they give you,just the display driver

Right, ok. What does the catalyst thing do anyway? It downloaded with the driver for the 9000 I'm using at the moment, but I've got no idea what it does.

panza wrote:
also never overclock them as there already tweaked up and youll just cock it up and over work it

I wouldn't know how to. Not generally the kind of thing I'd do anyway.

Cheers Panza and everybody else. Maybe this'll help to get Matra up a bit higher in the constructors' table...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's here and it's looking good. DDR2 memory instead of GDDR3 (what's the difference anyway?), but I can live with that, as on Nations, everything gets much shinier and sharper and on United, I now get actual water instead of eternal sky underneath stuff.

The real benefit though, I expect, is that if I turn the settings down, things should run without lag, even in GPs...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/bonus/t/sysinfo_intro.tmpl?registration_option_id=2609&submit2.x=53&submit2.y=8

Systems Requirements labs test's your computer to see if it will run minimum and recommended games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: