Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bot sending messages from MY HOTMAIL!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaCheese

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Bot sending messages from MY HOTMAIL! Reply with quote

I'm not happy. In less than half an hour I've had 6 messages arrive in the Junk Mail section telling me that some stuff I supposedly sent couldn't be delivered. The messages include the original message, which seems to be a load of code that creates a table saying something about GetawayClub, whatever that is. One thing's for sure; it's not mine. It looks a bit like a first attempt at phishing, without a webpage from a 'bank' etc. but an email address at the bottom.

I realise online email is prone to attacks from this kind of thing, but I've not managed to find a contact address for Microsoft's Live Hotmail part for them to give me some help. Any ideas anyone, or a contact address?

Last edited by DaCheese on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
JawZ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there always the good old ignore, and wait for something to swallow you whole one day option.
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

email return addresses can be set to anything you like so it might not be your mail box thats sending it but it's your mail box thats getting the reply.

various viruses can pick up on your email address and then it gets nasty.

I argued with freeserve last year for a customer. As soon as I sent the mail, my email was added to the virus list and I also received the junk Sad

That is why email is changing more to web based mail..... it's more controllable for the server.
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viruses and whatever can go through forums and stuff looking for emails in the ...@hotmail.com or ...@gmail.com format. This is why people say to put your email as youremail(@)gmail.com and y.o.u.r.e.m.a.i.l.@gmail.com etc. It will usually have a note underneath saying to remove the brackets and dots, because that way, the things dont get your email, and spam you to death.
DaCheese

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. That's a relief, knowing that it may not be my mail box sending it. I am, however, peeved that I'm getting an inbox full of rubbish.

I don't understand the whole virus thing. Where's the appeal in stringing together some code that does nothing but screw up other people's computers and cause misery? I suppose there are those that do it just because they can.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is method in their madness, and in no way have i made a virus or anything like it Very Happy

But some make viruses to get people who dont know anything about computers, off using them. People who can use them, will remove the virus, and continue normally. With all the useless people removed, not many people will buy the useless and expensive software, because they will know better and research a bit to find a cheaper/better alternative, this drives the prices for everything down. Laughing

Others just make it as challenges to get through firewalls and anti virus software.
JawZ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most computers apperently have a virus on them. a statistic, thought probably more myth that i recall going around was something like 95% of personal computers will have a virus on...

sometimes they can be fun to remove/try and remove...lol
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve wrote:
There is method in their madness, and in no way have i made a virus or anything like it Very Happy

But some make viruses to get people who dont know anything about computers, off using them. People who can use them, will remove the virus, and continue normally. With all the useless people removed, not many people will buy the useless and expensive software, because they will know better and research a bit to find a cheaper/better alternative, this drives the prices for everything down. Laughing

Others just make it as challenges to get through firewalls and anti virus software.

Steve this is Evil Genius stuff, all you need is an Island and the tottie in labcoats Idea

Skin by Baino
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muhahahahahaha

All those useless people will be removed!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Rolling Eyes
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaCheese wrote:
I am, however, peeved that I'm getting an inbox full of rubbish.

If I got 6 spams a day I'd be delighted. In fact I get about 300. It's a pain when I'm checking it on my phone because I am paying for every byte of it. At least with web-based email I only download the header and choose whether to open (and download) it. Checking POP3 on my phone means I have to download the whole email, attachments and all. Sad
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all windows computers have viruses on them....WINDOWS.

most are written as a challenge for the programmer or to test weeknesses or to scare everyone into spending lots of money on antivirus products.

I have recently removed viruses that warn you that you have caught them then send you to their own antivirus sites where you can purchase their antivirus product with your credit card. nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: