Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another New router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> News & Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Another New router Reply with quote

ok let me know if anything doesn't work, fails, throws anyone off the server because yes, I've installed another new router.

testing testing 123

lets see if this one melts in half an hour Twisted Evil
DaCheese

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me Mad. You asked for a reort on my router? It gets pretty hot after about 6 hours, so if it was running all the stuff you deal with day in, day out I think it'd be a lifetime of days, not months or years.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok another router on test... yawn.

This is purely for testing the router, the previous one will be returned as soon as I'm convinced this one works.. or not. ( customer reports it faulty. )

for anyone interested heres the results of the routers tried with approx costs....

Dlink DSL-504T
Noisy, fairly reliable but after continued use refused to forward ports correctly. Admin menus were awful and every minor change required a reboot??? £50 ish

Dlink DI-804HV with Dlink DSL-300T Modem
Tendancy to overheat under pressure but will be reliable if stood perfectly vertical with lots of air around it. Used it for 6 months with reboots every week. VPN tunnel support was awful and it needed firmware upgrades before it worked. The menus we're as bad as the other one. £100 all in

Dynamode R-ADSL-C4W-EG ( wireless unit ) :
Loads of features. fine for home use but couldn't take the pace of the servers after a day. was only £30.

Billion Bipac 5002
fastest synch of any router ever to be connected to my line.... 1.5 miles from the exchange. overheated under serious pressure but did run for a week. only £25 would be perfect for a cheap home solution. contacted their support line..... no reply.

Draytek Vigour 2800VG ( Voip, USB 3G Modem Support )
Overheated after 30 minutes grunt. Well featured but not every feature works as it should. 4 firmware upgrades later and still not working as described on the box ( advanced VOIP functions failing, VPN settings were unreliable on initial firmware ) £150

Netgear DG834v3
very well featured router and the most reliable so far by miles. only reboot when I feel like it as it has been solid. this is not the wireless version...... £45

Linksys WAG54GS - Wireless UPDATE
As reliable and maybe better than the netgear with a noticably good performance. I've had a lot of trouble with linksys wireless acess points before but this seems fairly stable.

YAWN

Last edited by mad on Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you're getting refunds on all these smouldering bakelite wire buckets ...

My ASUS AR7WRD wireless router has been with me for about 3 years now and it's still running fine. The port forwarding needs to be re-started every time I turn the computer on but I'm used to it now. Then again, I don't have 30-odd people gaming through it ....
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like to fix the port forwarding you need to fix the ip address of your computer. some routers let you reserve or set ip addresses for computers and others you just need to change the settings in your network config.

most of the routers have been retired to low users who use them without trouble... but their usage is average and nothing like what i put them through. any serious gamer or host though might find the results interesting.

Thanks to wesley today who also pointed me towards tomato firmware I found a link which tables loads of routers and their internal chipsets, memory, switches etc. it makes interesting reading. especially the processing power that these things run on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> News & Information All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: