Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Everyday lap count
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Three laps or more?
Go back to three laps like it's always been.
52%
 52%  [ 10 ]
Stick with longer races, say 5-6 laps.
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
I'm not bothered either way.
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 19

DaCheese

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Everyday lap count Reply with quote

I intended to start a thread on this last night but forgot. I think it's been discussed before but if it has things have changed around here a bit since then.

Last night I had a look at Matt's tracks and then decided to see if anybody was on the server. There were somewhere between 10 and 15 'numpties' (strangers) on there. I may not race as often as some others on here but this struck me as unusual. Upon joining I discovered that Mid had set the lap count to 10 at some stage, so I put it back to the usual 3. Mid was around and stopped by too and we discussed changing the number of laps. As a compromise I put 6 on with warmup.

I suspect that the quietness of the server is partially as a result of the stupid ladder system Nadeo are using. A lot of players race for ranking only and point-scoring opportunities are somewhat limited in the range ML uses, but it can't really be changed. However, Mid tells me that there are some popular Laps servers with this number of laps and we all know that there is no comparison between a ML track and the boring tracks you find on a lot of Laps servers! What I sometimes have to remind myself though is that a lot of our tracks are quite tough for anyone new to TM and in a three lap race plus warmup there's not much time to get used to tough stunts or nasty strings of corners. Another two or three laps gives more time for learning a track, can still result in close races as Yus and I discovered and still isn't too long. Assuming it hasn't been changed again I've left the server on six laps for now. I'd be interested to hear what everyone thinks; if the general concensus is that three laps is still preferable, it can go back how it was.

Last edited by DaCheese on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good idea but I think I should say there are some tracks in the rotation that are just way too hard for the numpties that have never seen those tracks, so they'd rather skip it, especially if it was 6 laps
Spray Shop
Spray Shop

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Moldo on this were an expert server mascarading as a noob server at the moment. It's a result of people playing our tracks so much we've all become pretty good and our builders getting pretty damn good at what they do. So when someone new comes along there immediately required to be able to do the same standard of track you get in the later parts of the single player mode and beat guys who do fantastic times so it scares a lot off.

6 laps is a great idea I like it a lot but I don't think it'll fix the our two big problems were just too damn good Very Happy
Reverbgb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe, we should bring back a few of the old maps... like the ancient ones. I mean i used to play on mad laps ages ago, when we were all on ESWC, and most of those maps are still being circulated, which are still fun to play, and i even notice people stay longer if those maps are being played. Laughing

PS. Sorry i don't know much hehe

Do you like my penguin? or, do you want to touch it? if so, email me at
Bobs@YaUncle.no Very Happy
beechus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

six laps is a good thing for many reasons !! feels like a mini gp on our tracks Wink getting used to tracks good point cheese !! .. i normally go on there on my own and try to beat a few personal bests whilst waiting for others to come on !! its a bit boring doing too many laps on your own!! if others were in the same situation they would possibly leave and noone likes to join an empty server they dont know well most people oo god lets just have a poll vote its easier loooooool gawwwd!
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's worth a trial. Regulars can still have fun with numpties by toying with them cruelly, too, don't forget Twisted Evil mip! mip!

Skin by Baino
StevieM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like being 15 secs ahead after 4 laps eh?
then getting disconnected Razz
Reverbgb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol yeh man, unlucky Razz

Do you like my penguin? or, do you want to touch it? if so, email me at
Bobs@YaUncle.no Very Happy
StevieM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverbgb wrote:
lol yeh man, unlucky Razz

Everyday occurance Wink
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As is always the case in TM a crowd draws a crowd and it requires a few regulars to keep it busy. 3 laps was picked ages ago to keep racing snappy and to give new players on the server a faster turn around of tracks rather than feeling left out for lap after lap. Also if you don;t like a track at 3 laps you'll wait for the next one, at 10 laps you'll leave...

cheers
Friday

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad wrote:
As is always the case in TM a crowd draws a crowd and it requires a few regulars to keep it busy. 3 laps was picked ages ago to keep racing snappy and to give new players on the server a faster turn around of tracks rather than feeling left out for lap after lap. Also if you don;t like a track at 3 laps you'll wait for the next one, at 10 laps you'll leave...

cheers

totally agreed.
Pepper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middenrat wrote:
Well it's worth a trial. Regulars can still have fun with numpties by toying with them cruelly, too, don't forget Twisted Evil mip! mip!

Yeah, right, but i feel like one of these numpties now. Mr. Green
DaCheese

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see both sides of the argument personally and I'm sat on the fence. Five or six laps is quite a long time, yes, and with some tracks it's too much. However, three laps is not a very long time if it's a tough track you've never seen before, you've only been playing TM for a week or two and there are ML diehards on the server lapping only a few seconds away from the top records.

The server is now running five laps, unless someone's changed it since. This thread now has a poll. I suggest going with the outcome of the poll.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Everyday lap count Reply with quote

DaCheese wrote:

I suspect that the quietness of the server is partially as a result of the stupid ladder system Nadeo are using. A lot of players race for ranking only and point-scoring opportunities are somewhat limited in the range ML uses, but it can't really be changed.

Can i be a nosey bugger and ask why? I know to keep a server running at a high points level the server has to kinda pay nadeo so many coppers. But surely a higher points ranking will mean more visitors and more people donating coppers?

I for one would use madlaps a lot more during the day. etc if there were more people on there and the racing was meaning something (points) rather than just beating a a few random noobs who stumbled across the server.

On one hand I can see how a higher ranking might put off noobs, etc. But then some of the tracks are as guilty of that also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dantski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be completely wrong, but doesn't Nadeo dislike anything other than rounds having high point limits?

Also I voted to go back to 3 laps, our server isn't really newbie friendly but 3 laps is in my opinion easier to play with than 6 where a lot of new players won't finish.
mark-s
PRO Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dantski wrote:
Could be completely wrong, but doesn't Nadeo dislike anything other than rounds having high point limits?

Lots of these Nascar ones are in laps mode. these are down as 40k to 80k servers.
msquires
Spam King

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggested 5 laps last night as a solution once the solo cup finished and seemed to get a backing.

When the length of a lap is about 50 secs (imo the ideal length to get some juice into the track with out being to long or brief), 3 laps can seem a bit short, particularly when you find a good flow and/or battle.

Apparently the server was set at 10 laps briefly, and this seems much too long (especially if there are only a handful of racers on as after a while, racers tend to spread out a bit).

6 is a good compromise, but does feel like the extra lap over a nice round 5 has been added for the sake of an extra lap to bulk things out.

Therefore 5 seems ideal, especially if people want a change to keep things fresh, as appears being lusted after at the moment.

Mad Laps made its name for fast paced 3 lappers. Do we keep this or add a couple of laps to freshen up a bit?

Of course, this is by no means a permanent change so I think trialling it, and not all falling out in the process is, in my mind, a good and worth while exercise Smile
evil_homer
All-Round-Good-Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 or 6 laps would be too much for me, i'd end up crashing on the 2nd lap, restarting a way back then i'd quit.
also 6 laps is a lot to do with the warm up too just to get a few points if thats your reason for racing.
StevieM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 is good, takes me back to when we had the mad mini server, which i loved Smile
Spanky_McCoy
Dirty Deeds Done Cheap(ish)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have been playing TM which is not often lately I've found myself on servers doing races of 5-7 laps, while this is fine if the tracks are right for it I'd be less than keen to do 7-10 laps of longer tracks.

If the tracks are right for longer races fine but you'd need to take out the longer tracks which aren't as suitable I would say. If you want to keep the punters coming in and new blood coming back then longer races would need to generate something to keep them interested, close racing and points do that, we have one the other is missing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: