Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mid week between GP seasons but not MTCC events
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Events and Challenges
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanky_McCoy
Dirty Deeds Done Cheap(ish)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: mid week between GP seasons but not MTCC events Reply with quote

Guys this place has been as happening as pork sausage factory in Islamabad lately. So as a matter of interest what is the reason for the exodus?.

Personally speaking I prefer racing with more than 1 other person and the last few nights after spending 20 mins on my own I've buggared off to another server so as to avoid cabin fever. So do you people want more events or is it more simple than that.

Constructive stuff please folks can't be bothered with moans directed at individuals.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh lost a long post due to computer.

Anyhoo

1. New Tracks/Server - Busier servers have shorter tracks, if people prefer that, then changing the points server to laps mode and with 15-30 sec laps seems an obvious move.

2. Raids - Need to be organised well or some people will get frustrated and leave early. Knowing which server and what cars to use prior to the raid is essential

3. Events - I really like the cannonball runs, either 10 or 15 laps works for me. I'm sure someone with more ideas could come up with some fun stuff.

4. GP's - Hopefully we'll get our touring car event going soon and on the touring car theme, I thought of something to change up the GP's.

I'm proposing to mirror the touring cars by doing a sprint gp and a longer GP. Looking at the table of last years results, even without respawns it was extremely predictable at the front, a shorter GP (maybe only 5 laps?) would mix it up a little more and possibly allow some 'crazier' tracks.

In the end if we want madlaps to regain its old popularity day in and day out, we need a strong base of 10 or so regulars who login at similar times every day, to get that we need to attract new people.
Baino
Spray Shop
Spray Shop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been spending time with the misses recently as shes been on holiday for the last 6-7 weeks. Though she's started back this week so should be around more often shortly.

Having said that when I have been on i've been lucky if theres four of us on the server (though Pepper seems to have been putting in a sterling effort since he's return and is on a lot.) and have on occasion been sitting there for an hour or so with nobody else appearing tend to be on either from around 6.30pm or I'll pop in and out all day. When someone does appear they normally don't talk and leave after half a lap even though I take it easy on new faces so as not to scare them off which suggest people aren't liking the tracks or me?.

If they aren't liking the tracks it's a worry because it suggests to me Laps racing is becoming more niche as Trackmania gets older and people really just want ladder points and LOL tracks because I don't think our tracks aren't fun or well built and I wouldn't want to see the main server have a points requirement because when the odd new person does turn up I think they appreciate being able to race in a friendly environment where everybody isn't chasing points.

I have no idea if all that makes sense and will probably contradict myself in the future Very Happy
StevieM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only come on the server if there are more than say 5 or 6 familiar faces on there, I don't bother if there's not..
JawZ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i somewhat no only seem interested in racing gp's or playing tm in prep for season and during season to rehone skills.

in offseason i find myself not playing much and when i do its about 3am Razz

DaCheese

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I can't help but wonder is where everybody's gone. Back on TMN you could join most nights of the week confident that you'd be with at least 15 other peeps (or maybe my glasses are going rose-tinted). We now have a lot of interest in GPs but in between you see barely anybody on the server other than on Saturday evenings (Cup of course). There's only a small bunch of us using ML any more and even fewer using this forum. Dant talks sense but do we have ten regulars any more? Probably not. In between seasons our GP racers do clan stuff, race for points, play something different or in some cases seemingly vanish from the face of the earth. I've no problem with that, I get a lot of use from my 360 amongst other interests. Just drop by regularly please.

There are still Laps servers out there but we do seem to take a somewhat unique approach. Usually on a Laps server stunts are cut completely to make way for corners and minimal elevation changes, topped off with a boring naming policy. We all know that our track styles race well, the wider TM community doesn't, or not any more anyway. From past experience I know that when we have a busy server, there's always someone to have a close battle with no matter what your skill level.

Cutting a long story short, to get more people, we need more people. It's getting late so these might not be the best ideas I've had recently but let's get the ball rolling:

1. How about a certain night or two of the week where we agree to turn up and race? No registering or particular commitment and no special events (particularly cannonballs, I love 'em but 15 laps is too much for someone who's not an ML regular), just normal three lap racing. TM players see a server with a reasonable number of people and join, if they're made welcome and enjoy it, they'll hang around, maybe even find their way here!

2. There'll always have to be a limit to the number of racers in a GP season. If we get as we're running out of team slots, give the guys using the server regularly priority over drivers that vanish between seasons and randomers. How's that for an incentive?
Dirty Deeds Done Cheap(ish)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we could have a night of the week where we make the races 5-7 laps instead of the 15 laps we did for Cannonballs, it's a bit longer but no as long that folk would lose interest half way through.

I'm all for limiting the GP slots to people who actually frequent the server and add to the community aspect of it. Last season I was quite close to chucking out a couple of people because they were warned that non appearance would count against them and they ignored that warning. Next season places will definitely be weighted in favour of those who do something to help this place and we may even have a limit on the grid. GP slots might even get done by invitation only, places will be offered up to 26 slots after that there is no guarantee you'll get in.

You're right I don't think we do have 10 regulars, I was on last night for a while with Friday and Shad but after about half an hour nobody was connecting at a time when we traditionally have people coming in. I've been going round some of the other laps servers and the thing I've noticed is that people are there for the points and because there are other people on the server

Nascar servers have a lot of competition but terrible tracks
C@nt servers have not so much competition but better tracks
We have good tracks and no competition.

I think if we do have a night when we all come in for an hour or so then we will draw new regulars in. Sometimes people drift away from particular servers maybe we won't see the old regulars back but don't think we should let the server die on its arse because of it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaCheese wrote:
One thing I can't help but wonder is where everybody's gone.

I don't see alot of madlaps regulars on, but I can say that I am usually on TM almost every night during the week for a couple or so hours. Only I spend most of my time on my own server (EPS training) or on UK servers like DS Mini Maps and Madness gaming. Most of my friends play on these servers so this is where I play. I know Swat hasn't played TM as much or at all for a while now, and occasionally bboy pops up onto whatever server I'm on and specs for a bit and laughing when I crash.

Other than that, I can't say that I see many people on. I am planning on going on Madlaps tonight for an hour or so just to see how many players would join in, might ask a few of my friends like jongo nemesis darky gman etc to come on too for a few races.
YussuF

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the first idea of Cheese a lot , a certain evening/night with just 3-laps-racing (no longer ones as it's more exciting to have more tracks than more laps for a beginner I suppose) and a crowd of regulars on the server would certainly help to draw new regulars. To get more people , there have to be more people than lets say 3 on the server.
I wasn't on a lot the last days (evil computer Evil or Very Mad ) and missed it to have a couple of tight races at the end of a day.
See ya tonight I hope Wink
msquires
Spam King

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was an inevitable topic, and something has to be done. I think servers go up and down as competition comes along...theres a lot less people on rfr lately thanks to the arrival of similar, better, servers.

I personally don't think that events raise popularity. IMO we need more new tracks and less of the old ones to keep things fresh. If we put the emphasis on new tracks, not only will people be encouraged to build, but also turn up on the server to try the other new tracks which are around Wink
Baino
Spray Shop
Spray Shop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the controller be used to put up messages asking people to submit tracks for the server or telling people about upcoming events maybe as every new track is loaded or perhaps a custom load skin that is updated regularly as I've seen this on other servers and it seems to do a good job of generating interest?
Where as on Mad Laps we have a little link in the top corner (unless it's a link to BMW on one server?) and unless you meet a regular you'll never know about anything else that goes on.
Dantski

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
IMO we need more new tracks and less of the old ones to keep things fresh

I don't think new tracks are the answer, for the old regulars they often want to race tracks they remember rather than get on everyday to learn a whole new rotation of tracks. I see no reason why producing another 20 tracks of the same style as we already have will encourage new people to stick around.

I'll repeat what I said last post, we need to focus on getting NEW people, the old people find trackmania less exciting and are not going to increase in numbers by more than 1 or 2.

On a sidenote, I know why you (the server/track admins) want all new tracks to be madverted but this is a restrictive and not really necessary. How many people here have seen their madverted tracks on other servers? It's not attracting new people and stops the less able track builders submitting tracks. I feel madverts should not be a requirement, if they truly were then the track admins should go edit the old servalot tracks too IMO.
msquires
Spam King

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How else are we going to get people on the server?

If I come across a server still running Nations tracks I usually leave pretty quick. Not saying that everybody thinks the same and also not suggesting we get rid of the old tracks either. Just what I think would work.

Madverts make the server look better as it shows we have tracks which have clearly been made solely for ML, rather than it looking like the admins have just been trawling TMX for odds and ends.
Dantski

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
How else are we going to get people on the server?

exactly thats what this thread is about

what has happened before hasn't worked in regard to attracting people (that includes trying to change up tracks)

I'm not saying tracks are unimportant because they obviously are, but equally obvious is that the average UK player would rather race a 20-30 sec track 5-10 times, than a 50 sec lap 3 times.

I still disagree about madverts though, I never notice them while racing and its the same for me on other servers. I agree that they're nice to see, but making them a necessity is something I'll never be happy with.
DaCheese

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracks are a difficult issue because we've got a lot in the collection. I've often felt that new tracks don't get enough attention in the past but there's little that can be done. They can go into the current rotation and that's about it. I agree that there's a lot of Nations tracks in use that are fine but not stunning, but we've also got Forever tracks that aren't great. It depends what you guys that are still here want in terms of tracks; Matt probably has a point in the average player wanting to see Forever stuff, but as long as the tracks in use are enjoyable to drive and to a high standard I don't care when they were made. A lot of servers are doing nearly flat-tracks and when I joined ML most tracks were almost like that. As I've said before the change from TMN to TMF has led to a change in track style and it's one I welcome to be honest.

Now, Madverts, and trackbuilding in general. Mad set down long ago ground rules for tracks to keep some things standard (running time, coppers etc.). I want to see new trackbuilders here as much as anyone, as long as they build ML style with their own twist and build within the guidelines (they could perhaps do with some additions at some stage). Checking track submissions is time consuming and sometimes difficult. Some new authors have just given up before they get an upload, but if we weren't so particular a lot of the tracks on the server would have annoying problems.

I still maintain that nobody does tracks like we do. Most of the ones in the collection were built specifically for ML. If your track's built for ML, why not say so? If it's built as a Laps track that you want other servers to use but we still like it, that's fine but surely a Madvert or two doesn't hurt? The Shore Systems ads are there because the forums and Points server are both here and kept running thanks to Mad. I don't know if he's had any business from people who've seen Shore ads on the server but it doesn't matter. Perhaps Madverts shouldn't be compulsory (they do need to be made easier to get at from Photobucket), but unless you make your own it doesn't take long and it's no harder than adding a warning sign.
Spray Shop
Spray Shop

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baino wrote:
Can the controller be used to put up messages asking people to submit tracks for the server or telling people about upcoming events maybe as every new track is loaded or perhaps a custom load skin that is updated regularly as I've seen this on other servers and it seems to do a good job of generating interest?
Where as on Mad Laps we have a little link in the top corner (unless it's a link to BMW on one server?) and unless you meet a regular you'll never know about anything else that goes on.

Any opinions?
DaCheese

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Baino, got wrapped up in what I was writing. That does sound like a good idea. The load screen idea is a good one as I'm not sure if the controller can be used to automatically put messages in the chat box. Then again, the load screen would presumably need to be done as a mod, so the mods currently in use would need to be changed with every update if we kept them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of mods in use, but several tracks without as well. perhaps it's enough if we just give new loading screens to the ones without mods. I don't want to miss the camels Wink
Good Homer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally 3 laps is enough (I like a drink and smoke between races) anymore than that and I’m not interested unless its GP.

I usually play 90k rounds servers which madlaps does not have. I don’t do 15-30 sec tracks I only play full length rounds this is why I enjoy the solo on sat night which I see is becoming less popular. Crying or Very sad

I think it would be fun if madlaps introduced a mid week Team Play night. With the majority colour in podium winning the round (NOT pole position wins round) Idea
msquires
Spam King

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ I don't think the key lies in events, as this wouldnt attract new players necessarily. I personally think that, as depressing as it is, tastes have changed and there are branded servers which attract far more attention now days in laps, such as the nascar ones (as mind numbingly boring as they may be!). I don't have any potential solutions to this.

A lot of servers advertise their websites in the chat box. But this would presumably be down to Mad to organise in the server's code??? The loading screen is, as far as I'm aware, based upon the mod being used on the track you're about to race. Therefore the chat box is the best place, or a welcome screen, like on bipolar bears (not that i've been on there of course!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Events and Challenges All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: