Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Server issues
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> News & Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanTheMan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Server issues Reply with quote

The problem`s with the server are persisting, the lag started about three weeks ago, now the P2P connections are crap, I think this is a problem on the PRO-HoST server end as all the settings are correct on the controller. Peeps will have to bear with it for a while until the new Host is online in one-two weeks, (this gives the current host a really good name and i think we should all use them- NOT)

Please bear with the current situation and things will be back to normal soon, i think/hope.
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the update, Dan. On the upside our Points and Challenge server seems to be A1 at the moment and they have much more interesting tracks up as well. 'Cept I thought we were a Laps-loving outfit and Points is set to A2B (1 lap) Confused

Skin by Baino
Spanky_McCoy
Dirty Deeds Done Cheap(ish)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were racing it one night and found it was taking a while to go round the tracks especially as Cheese and Dan didn't want to let me win so Dan changed it to A2B.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 lap makes the rounds run quicker, i found it taking an age sometimes to get to the next track, also A-Bs can now be used in conjucnction with laps tracks.
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanTheMan wrote:
1 lap makes the rounds run quicker, .

You say that like it's an automatic good thing, I must've missed the discussion leading to that conclusion. Maybe if tracks were the right length it wouldn't be so tiresome (for you). All I know is it feels wrong to pass the Start without a full speed lap and the different dynamics that offers.
And it says 'Mad Laps' on the tin Exclamation

Skin by Baino
DanTheMan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middenrat wrote:
DanTheMan wrote:
1 lap makes the rounds run quicker, .

You say that like it's an automatic good thing, I must've missed the discussion leading to that conclusion. Maybe if tracks were the right length it wouldn't be so tiresome (for you). All I know is it feels wrong to pass the Start without a full speed lap and the different dynamics that offers.
And it says 'Mad Laps' on the tin Exclamation

Says Points on the tin, theres been more people on points since it was made into a 1 lap round, keeps the interest up imo, how long is the right length of track?? I suggested some thirty second laps/ T-A`s but nobody seemed interested (apart from DC). Can`t do this whole show on my own!
Spanky_McCoy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a laps server can't see the harm in having an A2B server where points are available. We did the 2 laps thing for a few months, it's gone back to A2B nothing to say it can't go back to 2 laps per round later on.
Spam King

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say put it back to 2 laps (can see Mid's view) but reduce points limit to keep speed up in getting thru tracks (for Dan and Spanky).
Spanky_McCoy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just the speed of getting through the tracks is the issue when you make it a two lap affair you change the dynamics of the competition. On an A2B race you can't afford to cock up whereas with laps you have a chance to get back into the race. I think when it's set to A2B it makes you raise your game. If folks want laps then they go to the laps server, just because we all mainly like laps it doesn't mean we have to have 3 servers doing just laps. I'm not saying don't ever have it set to two laps but the server has been set on that for a while there is nowt wrong with changing the content and type of racing.

The website is called Mad Online Gaming, the racing would still be Mad Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msquires wrote:
I'd say put it back to 2 laps (can see Mid's view) but reduce points limit to keep speed up in getting thru tracks (for Dan and Spanky).

So the points get changed to say 15, so....erm.... 5 for a win over 3 races.

or 30 points...........10 for a win over 3 races, theres no way to drop the points without losing race attempts, thus less chance to win.

How would it work to make it run faster?

Also 2 laps can`t run A2B`s.
YussuF

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky_McCoy wrote:
It's not just the speed of getting through the tracks is the issue when you make it a two lap affair you change the dynamics of the competition. On an A2B race you can't afford to cock up whereas with laps you have a chance to get back into the race. I think when it's set to A2B it makes you raise your game. If folks want laps then they go to the laps server, just because we all mainly like laps it doesn't mean we have to have 3 servers doing just laps. I'm not saying don't ever have it set to two laps but the server has been set on that for a while there is nowt wrong with changing the content and type of racing.

The website is called Mad Online Gaming, the racing would still be Mad Wink

second that , I've appreciated the new challenge on there the past few days, and once Pro is fixed we have the traditional laps server we defo all want. But the risk you can easily take in just one lap adds to the fun I think.

I like it with two laps as well tho.....perhaps a change every month (two weeks / week , whatever ) would be the right thing to do
Baino
Spray Shop
Spray Shop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Points can run a2b's fine in 2 lap mode it defaults to whatever the track is made for so if it's a2b it will be 1 lap in effect. So with the right mix of tracks both groups could be happy those that wanted short snappy runs would have an a2b come round regularly and the laps fans would get a multiple lapper regularly. Very Happy
DaCheese

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro has continued the practise of close racing over three laps. Points should give an altogether different experience, with something for everyone, and perhaps also showcase the newest tracks alongside Pro. I'll admit that I've been annoyed in the past when a track I wanted to see raced over three laps was kept on Points for ages and didn't appear on Pro but overall I think it's best to keep rounds short.

A few years ago, way back when I was at school(!), I used to locally host TM sessions for my mates on a Friday afternoon. We had both multilap tracks and A2Bs and like Dan said if you run in Laps mode you can't use A2Bs. As Baino pointed out however in Rounds you can run both and back then on TMN and TMO I found that in Rounds a single run on a multilap track will last for the number of laps the track is validated for. Say you want each round to take a minute. Traditional ML tracks take nearly this for one lap and that's what they're validated for. Short tracks like Parra Central could be validated for two laps (I only did it for one when I made it). Worth a try?

I'll have to sort out the final section on The Middle as well. I was pleased with how most of it raced on Monday night but the last corner is too tight to keep enough speed to make the finish.
actual speed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a compromise is achievable with some fine tuning.
nvm 'compromise', it sounds better than either of the exclusive alternatives.

Skin by Baino
msquires
Spam King

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanTheMan wrote:
msquires wrote:

So the points get changed to say 15, so....erm.... 5 for a win over 3 races.

or 30 points...........10 for a win over 3 races, theres no way to drop the points without losing race attempts, thus less chance to win.

Was referring to reducing the points LIMIT not the points awarded...I do know that would be a worthless exercise thanks Cool Laughing

I would like to say that I feel new tracks are put on the back burner far too quickly...some never even see time on the server. Would be nice if, like used to happen, every new track was either put straight on when ready or at least every week all the latest tracks from that week went up Smile

Mid was on a good idea when he set up the 6 sets of tracks with a roughly equal share of each track builders efforts in each week...2 weeks ago I had no tracks on PRO, then had 4 last week and now its back to zero... Rolling Eyes
DaCheese

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You raise some important points there Matt and and I'm inclined to agree. Mid, can you scan in those lists please and stick them online so that they can be added to?
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm squires tracks are not put on a back burner... its just that we have soooo many. It's always been a problem even when we had 100 tracks. now we have 600+ tracks can disappear for an age.

As for number of laps, I agree with everyone. Smile I like to do more than one lap on a multilap track. I also like races to go fast and snappy and move on quickly. which is why I aint to fussed with rounds mode but thats the way nadeo insist points servers run Smile ahh will spend some time on the weekend catching up with the paperwork and see what we can achieve.
DanTheMan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to finish that, sorry the tracks don`t go up straight away from the forum, i get caught up in other things and don`t always get the chance too put em up and then i get overwhelmed, as for this time with the GP seasons on, i`ve gotta ram tracks on really quick after a gp as not to suffer the wrath of the screaming masses or the spanish inquisition, but, who expects the spanish inquisition?
JawZ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in regards to the server settings.

with laps i prefer 3 laps.

but with rounds i prefer to play 1 lap, yes some tracks are missing the 2nd lap dynamics but I have always felt that rounds tracks should be no longer than 1 minute long, wasnt dantski in [z] on tmn? they ran a succesful rounds server, what was there critea Razz

and on the track selection thing, make an hidden rule that each user should have atleast 1 track on per month? or whenever you rotate, aslong as the user has 4+ tracks that are server ready? that way there wouldnt be a time where someone has zero tracks in rotation Idea

Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaCheese wrote:
Mid, can you scan in those lists please and stick them online so that they can be added to?

I can do that, it would be useful as they're already screened/vetted, but the /tracklist is a jumble and you'd still need to do a lot of scrolling around... I don't recommend it frankly but ppl have to make their own mistakes. You still want?

Skin by Baino
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> News & Information All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: