Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GP SCORING and HANDICAPPING
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Events and Challenges
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: GP SCORING and HANDICAPPING Reply with quote

Based upon the test tonight I have drawn up the results of the first race and the points that would have been awarded if this was a GP...I've made a small mistake with the position points but its near enough as I should have removed bonobo completely. In the race, Bonobos points were disallowed as he performed no handicap loops.

Have a look see. Position rewards go towards the team and adjusted handicap rewards go for the personal table. This means that rewards are readily available for all and even the slowest racers can contirbute heavily for their team.

Please note... I obtained the handicap times and removed them from the race time for comparison purposes. This gives us an actual race distance performance and the times correlate well with the handicap points and position reward system.
Bunsen stopped during the handicap period so that explains his positioning and handicap discrepancy.

If anyone wants to fiddle with tables for the second GP then the results are here
http://www.shoreforums.co.uk/tmc/index.php?page=track200&track=$f00MAD%20$00fSTAD%20$ff0EXP2&mode=3_25&server=Mad%20Laps%20Pro
Ste-Unit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah so i did do 10 handicap loops, thought i did more Laughing
Bonobo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry MAD, I didn't totally get a grip of what was going on, I didn't see my name in the handicap list so thought I only had to do the race as it was, DOH....

But I do get the idea on the handicap to make it fairer.

Bonobo
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats alright bon I guessed that but couldn't score it.... and it made for an interesting result to try and sort out. I did say before to try and work out a handicap if your not listed but you obviously missed it. The handicap guide was based on the previous race.

yes steve you did ten , I counted them all.
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respect for all the work mad..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: GP SCORING and HANDICAPPING Reply with quote

mad wrote:
Bunsen stopped during the handicap period so that explains his positioning and handicap discrepancy.

My baby had been sitting peacefully next to me for a quarter of an hour watching the cars (as she seems to love ... Yippeeee!!!!) but the moment the race started she decided to go red-faced and bawl her tiny grapefruit-sized head off. I managed to bang off a few handiloops but she persisted, so I had to stop for a minute to calm her down. I was quite surprised how far behind it left me! (I bet you're glad I'm not on Vent ...)
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunsen I counted everyone out of the handicaps and only later noticed that you finished. I then had to go back and found you parked half way round. I was like "thats odd, bunsen parked up in the handicap loops, did he loose count?" It cost you about 50 seconds... ouch.
McInSanE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do we give points for those who don't finish?
Because if yes, you could just do 100Handi-loops - that's 500pts times 0.111111 is 55.5 points - which is way more than 9.78.. ^^

*edit*: I don't get how you added up the teamscores...
evil_homer
All-Round-Good-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sosteves not on the list
DanTheMan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evil_homer wrote:
sosteves not on the list

Was only for first (handicapped) race, steve didn`t finish because of retiring due to a bad leg
sosteve
actual speed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Was only for first (handicapped) race, steve didn`t finish because of retiring due to a bad leg

It jumped up and hit the retire button Sad

master of the slow lap and purveyor of really bad jokes.
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The max handicap is 10 and you only get points for finishing..... and the higher you finish the more points you get. Smile

I'm sure their will be a lot of tactical play but if we get great races and finishes then we've achieved the aim.
DanTheMan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to tactically finish some races!!

Still don`t under stand where the final result/score comes from
Munkhi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same

What does the 0.1 recurring multiplier relate to?

Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, apologies for missing the event Embarassed which looks like it was a success - now we need to understand how. Mad, could you explain how the score was arrived at? It looks like a function of the other columns, but I can't see a simple linear correlation.

Skin by Baino
McInSanE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad wrote:
The max handicap is 10 and you only get points for finishing..... and the higher you finish the more points you get. Smile

Ok, so does that mean that you can't do more than 10 handiloops?

Positive: Someone can't go round 20times, become last and still get 9.67points

Negative: Someone with crazy skills like HotSwat might still win every race since 10loops might not be enough...

Generally, I think that 10loops is enough, because if you still win a race and you did 10loops, then you really proved your skill and you earn the points. I can't see the point in making it impossible for the elites to win...

Ok, I liked the way, GPs used to be but I also like the way with the handiloops because (for me) it's funny to catch up and try to overtake other players and it's a thrill to "wait" on faster players overtaking me.. ..I admit I was kind of disappointed when I ended up in 7th place or whatever but because of the handicap, I actually didn't have to finish in a better position because I was still second in the overall ranking..

At this point, thanks to Mad and everybody else involved for this crazy point-structure-handicap-what-so-ever-system because it really does add some spice to the GPs.
McInSanE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sry for double post but i'm gonna try to explain the system now..^^

Position points should be clear.. ..goes like 40 for 1st, 38for 2nd just like in the regular GPs...

You get 5points for each handiloop you made, so for StevieM, 10loops should be 50points...

Then, Mad added up Position Points + Handi Points and Steve reached a total of 88 (38 + 50)

Then, Mad multiplied the 88points with 0.1111(period or however you call that, so the "1" goes on and on 0.11111111111111111111111111111)
to get the final result of 9.78 points for StevieM....

on the next table on the left, it's just the players ranked by total points and on the right is the actual time the players needed to complete a race minus the handicaploop time or sth. like that..^^

The Team table: Score 1: Score from player one (JSR --> Me Very Happy 30pts.) and Score 2: Score from player two (JSR-->Munkhi 36pts) added up to 66pts total. These are just the regular scores like in the normal GP
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McInsane you'll also appreciate I hope that though you were 7th you were just seconds from the lead..... apart from bononbo of course. there were 6 racers within 5 seconds of second place.... for me that finish was fantastic as for the last few laps everyone was aware of that situation and fighting hard.

10 will always be enough due to the way we will construct the handicaps. The current rule is that handicap sections should be 1/3 of the track distance on a moving lap. ie 30 seconds = 10 second moving handicap. A handicap guide like the one used for the race can also be produced based upon the combined seasons performance.

Someone like hotswat will have to fight hard to win every race as his winning margin has been reduced from many seconds to just 4 for stevieM in the last race...... cruising is no longer an option.

As for the points....
You get points for position. These are from 40 downwards with a step of 2 ie 40 then 38 then 36. These are used as team points with no handicap rating at all. This means that the top 20 drivers will score points for their team and slow racers will be able to contribute as much to their teams score as faster ones.

You get points for the handicap you chose. This is 5 * handicap so max handicap bonus is 50 down to 0. This is added to your position score to give personal points for a race to a maximum of 90 points. This is then divided by 9 to give a less outrageous seasons total maximum of 160 points.

As far as creating the table is concerned, no complicated maths or timings are required, simply each drivers handicap and final position. The handicaps will be extracted from replays and should take approx 5 minutes per race. The table will therefore take 10 minutes a week to update.... I hope.
McInSanE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad wrote:
McInsane you'll also appreciate I hope that though you were 7th you were just seconds from the lead..... apart from bononbo of course. there were 6 racers within 5 seconds of second place.... for me that finish was fantastic as for the last few laps everyone was aware of that situation and fighting hard.

yep, i do appreciate it Very Happy
Munkhi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the score breakdown Mad Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Events and Challenges All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: