Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Start Rant
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the cuts stuff, but seriously, why is wall banging not appreciated? It's just a form of drifting (http://www.team-dignitas.org/articles.php?id=67 - scroll down). I always do that on 180-degree-turns. Saying I can't do that is kinda like saying I can't drift, which reminds me of a certain team, starting with R and ending with FR.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^that link is how i learned it, so maybe it would be useful for you guys Very Happy
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, lets put the mad slant on this cus this will run and run.....

Cuts...
Some tracks can be ruined by cuts and some tracks can be made by them. It all depends upon the advantage gained and the skills required to make the cut. The MMMBat track for instance where the cut is hard and the reward little. Do it if you dare! its great. My recent track however where the cut was so stupidly easy cus my brain was turned off when I made the track... well it kind of ruined the track until I fixed it. I think cuts are fair game in general until we decide otherwise and amend the tracks. This means that if a cut is deemed not fair game then we should make admins aware of the fact for editing and removal. Some tracks where we no longer have direct access to author are more difficult.

Sliding and Wall Banging...
Very much fair game. Lets face it the aim is to drive as fast as possible and if that's the way it's done then we need to learn it. I remember Dantski's first GP with mad laps.... He spotted a wall bang because of his skills perfected on other servers and he romped away with 1st place. It's part of the driving in TM and there is no way to legislate or stop it therefore we must master it or lose.
Bea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night, the thing Belial was talking about was on that track Long Way Home coincidentally. I tried it on the first lap, made an arse of it and crashed, had to reset and didn't attempt it again that lap. Had a bad 2nd lap and was hitting walls all over, I tried the jump again, landed it, but took an age to turn facing the right way. At the start of the 3rd lap I was like 7-8 seconds behind but this time I nailed the majority of the lap and was actually in the lead before the jump at the end. In my opinion, I don't think the cut was the reason I won the race. Confused

It's a very ugly/easy cut so fair enough, I won't use it in the future. From a racing perspective, yes, it was pointless, but as I already said, I was aiming to beat my PB that run, which didn't happen.
PRO Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad wrote:
Sliding and Wall Banging...
Very much fair game. Lets face it the aim is to drive as fast as possible and if that's the way it's done then we need to learn it. I remember Dantski's first GP with mad laps.... He spotted a wall bang because of his skills perfected on other servers and he romped away with 1st place. It's part of the driving in TM and there is no way to legislate or stop it therefore we must master it or lose.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Pro-in-Trackmania-Nations

its classed as becoming pro Wink

i have read it and unfortunately still not any good Embarassed

and sorry didn't see moldo's link
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played for half-an-hour last night before work. Bea, you chose not to follow my advice and have a night off Laughing
Well for my part i want to thankyou for turning on Other Vehicles and having a banter with the other chaps, it makes all the difference to we mortals you know Wink

Skin by Baino
Bea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid, I can't possibly take heed of that advice you know. Laughing Blame Mr G. for buying a laptop, this computer is mine now. Laughing

It's very hard playing with the other vehicles on at the moment though, with the server's dodgy performance as of late, the other cars jump around all over the place which is very distracting. Confused

Even with 1 other person on the server its doing it. Surprised
actual speed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think teh internets are getting some new boxes plugged in. At first I thought it must be in Server/Local space (Dem Nederlandings) but yesterday I came in at 8 am check the Forums and I had no service whatsoever in Midden/Local space (60deg behind The ISS).
It is (intermittently) annoying, but stick with it, pls

Skin by Baino
Munkhi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't see the other cars from first place Razz

Pepper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RFR is still the best place to learn wall-banging and slinding btw ... Wink

Oh sorry... it's not fun anymore maybe...
DanTheMan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bea wrote:
Mid, I can't possibly take heed of that advice you know. Laughing Blame Mr G. for buying a laptop, this computer is mine now. Laughing

It's very hard playing with the other vehicles on at the moment though, with the server's dodgy performance as of late, the other cars jump around all over the place which is very distracting. Confused

Even with 1 other person on the server its doing it. Surprised

Doesn`t bother mine, and i have to share the internet with Mr I P Layer, who robs all bandwidth, I don`t see the point of playing with opponents off, may as well play a single player game, or be selfish and just play to win everything, which is fair enough, but, other people like a chance to get a record, or maybe win. It`s a fun place, but when it`s consistently one person winning, wheres the fun for everybody else??
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not rushing to defend an ultra player whose racing talks for itself, and I have uttered the 'where's the fun?' line personally, but it's not a valid gripe i now feel. The gal is dragging us all upwards in terms of achievement in the game, which characteristic we can embrace or discard but not call into a debate of sportsmanship. Why, only 48 hours ago we diced for the lead to the finish of Silenced in a time that would have blown OhNoes! into the weeds in the days of my noobhood. (No bash turns on that one Twisted Evil )
so *gulp* tnx Bea Shocked

Skin by Baino
evil_homer
All-Round-Good-Guy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd place ain't that bad Very Happy
Munkhi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fun comes from competing with those at your level. I don't think Bea, BBoy, Ste, Swat etc... winning all the time bothers those who finish 10th.

I focus on the race for 2nd and 3rd. There are quite a few players that I'm around par with and that's where the fun comes in. The race with them.

Even if the elites were to 'play for fun', they'd still mop the floor with us. Would you begrudge them winning constantly even without the cuts and stuff?

A lot of this is unfair tbh. Bea and the rest are better than us. Just gotta accept it and move on.

Bea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTM: I said the other cars were distracting but I never said I'd turned them off.

I take only 1 of 50 places on a tracks records list, not 50, if people can't get one of the other 49 records its hardly my fault is it? Rolling Eyes
actual speed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connection tip: choke your bandwidth option down to something you would be happy with using a 600KB line

Skin by Baino
JawZ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my internet last night was underperforming. at about 4am.

when i first started...my aim was to beat fred every race Smile i didnt care much for steve winning a race everytime.

Baino
Spray Shop
Spray Shop

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my 2 penneth worth.
Most of the time I'm scrabbling around at the back of the midfield but every so often i challenge for a podium or even a win. The only reason for that is because I get to see what the elite drivers are doing learn from how they take that last bend on a track or that killer loop in the middle. Yesterday I was on the server and then The King came on and the BBoy and Stevie appeared and i had been winning before thay turned up but it was a whole lot more fun and challenging when they turned up as it made me go for things I wouldn't have normally just to keep up making me a bettter driver in the process.
The only time I find cuts annoying is when either I don't know about them or I can't do them so I don't really mind them because I know one day I will be able to do them and then I will rule the world Twisted Evil
Spanky_McCoy
Dirty Deeds Done Cheap(ish)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not one to court controversy (yeah I don't believe me either) but this place is bound to create rivalries, dislikes, arguments. What I will say is that for the place to remain fun then people need to interract with the other racers Angel is now making that effort I think everyone would admit. If people still have a problem because she is beating them I suggest the Jazz Singer approach to the game, ditch your missus go out into the desert, learn country music, grow a beard and the come back to civilisation a much more focused individual, stick on your spangly shirt and kick some angel ass with your newly gained super abilities. If angel doesn't like being thrashed by Neil Diamond she can try the karate kid approach which I will go into greater depth another time.

If that doesn't work well I don't know what to say.
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotSWAT wrote:
Ste-Unit wrote:
speaking of abuse of power, kicking me for cutting in a warmup?

that doesn't seem very fair tbh...

Denying to be cutting, but after checking the replay it seems that you did cut, isn't very fair either, he Stevie? Very Happy

(I thought I was racing Stevie, but actually it was Spanky, very fun race, until I noticed the scoreboard where a certain Steve was 3 cp's ahead ;d)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: