Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contacting server ....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad wrote:
I will reboot the servers again in the morning but try contacting your ISP.... just give em lots of grief.

Thanks Mad, but it's every server in the world.

However, this morning I was able to connect and stay connected for an hour, so it's either finished or I can only play in the morning! This is what happened last time - it seemed to sort itself out after a few days ....
DaCheese

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you've been having the old problem again Bunsen, I've not had any problems other than a couple of disconnections.

Last edited by DaCheese on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
It won't go away. I seem to be able to connect in the mornings but after about 3pm it's Contacting Server ..... Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunsen this may sound duh, but have you spoken to your ISP's telesales peeps and given them a rocket ultimatum?

Skin by Baino
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should, but I think the problem might be with Trackmania. When it stops working it happens on two diffent PCs and with TMU and TMX. If I'm playing when it happens the game freezes up and the time turns red, I get booted from the server and then can't get back in. However all other online aspects work - I can log in, search for nations and search for servers, but I can never make it to the stage where you see who is in the server, just before you accept. Do you think something big might happen ISP-wise between that stage and entering?
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It uses different ports.......

When you connect to the central server, I can't remember the ports, but it uses one set of ports. then for contacting the game servers, most servers use the default ports so your always switching to ports 2350 and 3450 and these are being blocked by your ISP for 'traffic shaping reasons' It should be illegal. If one computer suffered, it would be software. as both suffer at the same time, its definately your ISP.
Phone them and give them an ultimatum, I bet your out of any tie in now anyway and you can get as good a deal anywhere else. Even if you are in a tie in stick two fingers up at them and tell them they broke the contract.

Out of interest, can you connect to the rounds server? it uses slightly different ports, though not much, and may not be blocked.

If you can get on vent maybe tonight and catch me, we could experiment with the challenge server and give it some really wacky port numbers to see if it gets round the problem.

One other possibility is that they block certain types of traffic and not just the ports.... This is more intensive at their end but they maybe blocking the packets because of the style of data they contain. I doubt it's the case but it's getting more and more possible.
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, mad. I'm going through a speed upgrade at the moment so if I raise the issue I'm sure they'll lame it on that. They told me the connection would be unstable for 10 days, so I'll see what happens after this .......
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK bunsen try today Smile

I've moved all the server ports away fromt eh defaults so mad laps at least should be blocked for you if they are blocking ports Smile

OF course thats assuming I've done it right and anyone can join the servers at all.
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I guess moving the ports didn't have any effect then as you couldn't connect for the GP Sad

This is not funny anymore and your ISP needs telling.
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's weird that I can connect in the mornings, isn't it? It's almost as if I am reaching some kind of daily threshold which cuts off my gaming abilities. As a self-employed person perhaps I should thank them!
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it's very weird. Because traffic shaping is all about controlling the network traffic especially at peak times, the controller is probably allowing all traffic through the night and then restricting traffic as the network gets busier during the day. This means that the problem is only getting worse as they add more and more customers and the network gets even busier.

Open a support question with their support team and post the answers because I will be interested to hear their response....
As you can connect in the morning it's garanteed to be their end but I bet they don't see it like that. Smile
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you had the current contract?
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been with Tiscali about 4 years and before that it was LineOne which Tiscali bought out. I've lived in this house for 18 months ... I am at the computer all day and probably do clock up quite a bit of usage, what with constantly downloading spam, pushing the refresh button on gmail, getting demos and venting my frustration on the tracks of death (it's amazing how quickly the 200MB cache fills up again when you clear it). Why do you ask? Maybe it is time for a change .....
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i think so. Phoning them is usually useless. You could write a letter asking to cancel the contract, and get a new one. And once you've gone over the contract time, i.e. 12 months, i dont think they cant charge you for canceling the contract. And they have no right to keep you with, i heard of cases where the ISP just ignores you, when you say you want to cancel, until you threaten with legal action.
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But don't people think TMN's general conduct recently has been pretty ropey? The ladder is up about 50% of the time, and even when I can connect it's often after a few weird warnings. In the past fortnight or so since the problems re-emerged and my play has been seriously curtailed, my personal rank has hardly been affected, dropping by about 20 world places, which seems unlikely when you think about it.
DaCheese

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have noticed some odd behaviour from Nations recently, plenty of ladder messages. Nevertheless, when we were with Tiscali they were utter ****.

Ah, I see Mad's introduced some censoring to the forum.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of broadband options available bunsen Smile plusnet is offering a free first month deal at the moment I believe and I sell business broadband like what I use which is pretty darn hot. no stupid messing here Smile.
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sell it? What sort of price are we looking at? And what speed ....
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed depends on your exchange, but I can look up your tel. number if provided by pm.

I don't do LLU services so normal rates up to 8mb are possible a BT line is required though any tel provider is acceptable.

recommended packages are;

Home package
8mb 30GBpeak 300GBoff-peak upload up to 448kbps - £20pcm
(peak = 8am to 10pm mon-fri)

Business package
8mb 45GBpeak 300GBoffpeak upload up to 832kbs - £30pcm
(peak = 8am to 8pm mon-fri)

Truly unrestricted package
2mb line £35

smaller packages are available offering 3GB and 5GB usage but this i would consider too small. I use the business one to run the game servers on....

transfer is free if not on a LLU system otherwise it's £50 setup fee.

Plusnet offer broadband and phone packages from £20 a month. I would recommend £25 or £30 a month packages with included calls BUT they don't have high usage allowances, do some minor traffic shaping and are not flexible if you get over 15GB peak usage...... They are ideal for most regular home users though. If you sign up with them then please do so from the link at the top of the forums... I would be most grateful Smile.
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help mad dude. I'll have a think about it. Could be a good deal in there ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: