Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spanky has got the right hump
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanky_McCoy
Dirty Deeds Done Cheap(ish)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys should go metric, just because Brussels let us off the hook doesn't mean we can forget its a better system Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metric sucks. Will they ever manage to change the pint of beer??

And, not sure about this, but im guessing time is imperial....They going to change that??
Spanky_McCoy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve wrote:
Metric sucks. Will they ever manage to change the pint of beer??

And, not sure about this, but im guessing time is imperial....They going to change that??

Time isn't measured in imperial terms, it originated 2000 years BC roughly. The sumerian civilisation used the number 60 as the basis for the system but I don't exactly know why, it may be thats how it became divisible after measuring the length of time between phases of the moon.

I'm no expert on it but I know it pre-dates imperialisation of measures.

One fact I am aware of there were time zones from north to south in GB to allow daylights savings. So Hull could have been 1 hour and 45 mins behind London to allow more daylight later in the day for the North of the country.

What a wacky world we live in

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was the advent of the railways that led to Great Britain adopting unified time, as every city had its own time and it played havoc with the timetables. Modern rail users might wonder why they bothered.

I believe it was the Babylonians who first adopted the 6-centred measurements whose legacy survives today in time, months, degrees and feet/inches. 60 is divisible by 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, 15, 20 and 30, so it's very good for apportioning into whole numbers (better than 100, in fact).
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno where you guys are going with this, but back to Spanky: I won't finish after a late start anymore ^^

Today I late started and could have won, decided to just let it go.. then after all had finished the winner appeared to be a late starter anyway. Kind of annoying indeed.

Though sometimes I can't help it, same as Tom.. getting half a second behind the first corner chaos because of my connection or something. Im not gonna let it go then, can't help that..

Another thing is, when I crash after a minute or so, half way in the game, I restart because I get the feeling I wont finish it anyway. Sometimes it happens that the guys still in front of me crash too, and then I still win. That wouldn't piss you off? Razz ( I wouldnt want to do that of course Wink )
retoon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing i do now is if i have to restart and by the end of the race am not infront of the leader i just slow down so that they still get there first place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DaCheese

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunsenjetson wrote:
Yes, it was the advent of the railways that led to Great Britain adopting unified time, as every city had its own time and it played havoc with the timetables. Modern rail users might wonder why they bothered.

After a few weeks of going to college by train I'd agree with that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PelicansMoldo wrote:
I dunno where you guys are going with this, but back to Spanky: I won't finish after a late start anymore ^^

Today I late started and could have won, decided to just let it go.. then after all had finished the winner appeared to be a late starter anyway. Kind of annoying indeed.

Though sometimes I can't help it, same as Tom.. getting half a second behind the first corner chaos because of my connection or something. Im not gonna let it go then, can't help that..

Another thing is, when I crash after a minute or so, half way in the game, I restart because I get the feeling I wont finish it anyway. Sometimes it happens that the guys still in front of me crash too, and then I still win. That wouldn't piss you off? Razz ( I wouldnt want to do that of course Wink )

Think you're maybe misinterpreting what gets me angry. It's deliberate late starting to gain an advantage or because the person is just a bit of a pain who doesnt care that they're yapping or mucking about caused them to miss the start through their own doing. Restarting because of a crash isn't so bad, least you were racing.

Anyway it's just my opinion, you do what you feel happy with, if you have no problems with late starting that's up to yourself mate. Personally speaking I miss the start I start however many seconds late it is as its my own fault. I don't make policy for anyone but myself Laughing
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you meant deliberate late starting, and of course I've never done that. I just feel sorry for the person that finishes first and then I (or some other late-starter) just bumps in and wins the race (yes, even if the first one to finish was Steve Wink ). The first one to finish has to win, not the one with the best time. The one that comes later but still has the best time had an advantage, as in missing the first corner chaos, and that's unfair.
Steve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An easy way to stop late starting, is put it on rounds, one round and winner gets 10 points. Put the point limit to 10.

It would stop late starting becausze if they pressed enter, it would retire Twisted Evil But i like laps because if you crash, you can restart and mess around at the start/finish, or practice the track without finishing.
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, laps is better than rounds, in this case
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good idea Steve. Plus you'd get to spec the race with all the cool camera angles!

The only downside is that there's always someone who leaves the computer and gos for a poo or whatever and if everyone crashes the game stops while everyone tries to get the offender to press enter. But that happens only rarely.

Anyway, you can leave the server and come back in and restart the race, but the operation would take about 20 second min which would probably rule out doing it on purpose.
CRJ 127
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only downside is that there's always someone who leaves the computer and gos for a poo

LOL Laughing Bunsen said Poo in the Forum's Laughing Laughing Laughing Embarassed Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and CRJ's avatar is squeezing one out Mad
CRJ 127
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed roflmao Laughing
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm today I had problems, meaning every race I started .4 seconds later
Then I noticed: Late-starting only backfires, as I would come in a chaos of crashing people that didn't latestart but simply crashed all the time.
If I didn't have to late-start, I could have stayed in front of them and focus on the road Laughing
retoon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moldo i think we all get it sometime or another. anyways i think it would kill the server changing it to rounds. like steve said it is good that if you do crash you can restart and mess around or learn the track. i would hate to have to sit there for 3 mins watching someone else race.

just like to add, people going on about the first corner chaos i dont think its that bad when im racing am looking what is coming up not whats just infront of me. but i must say it is CRAZY in the gp's on the first corner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tred
Duracell Bunny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retoon wrote:
moldo i think we all get it sometime or another. anyways i think it would kill the server changing it to rounds. like steve said it is good that if you do crash you can restart and mess around or learn the track. i would hate to have to sit there for 3 mins watching someone else race.

Or of course there was the situation last night on youtch - I ended up winning it, on my 4th restart... before that every time someone had got onto the last lap they'd flipped it/fallen off.
Supergrinch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as everyone else has had a say (and looking at the # of replies everyone has), I would like to state that it seems there are only two responses being given for late starts.

1) I'm not that good and I want credit for my record time if I manage to run one (usually stated by someone with a good ranking and well above average winning pct.)

My thoughts: Too F'n bad. If you run a record, you can do it again, ya lazy git.

2) I chose to do other things rather than prepare for the beginning of the race, so I retstrted cuz I'm an insensitive, self-centered prick (I paraphrase).

My thoughts: Go to a time attack track until you have a block of time for racing. Yes this is the best server on line, but there are times, for a variety of reasons that I use other tracks. You can do the same y late starting jerk. You'll be greeted more friendly when people know you are there to race, not killing time between PMs with your boyfriend.
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[RFR]Tred wrote:
retoon wrote:

Or of course there was the situation last night on youtch - I ended up winning it, on my 4th restart... before that every time someone had got onto the last lap they'd flipped it/fallen off.

Everyone crashes on Youch. I do restart on that track, but simply because everyone has to. If the server was in rounds, nobody would get it in 1 time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: