Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spanky has got the right hump
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanky_McCoy
Dirty Deeds Done Cheap(ish)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Spanky has got the right hump Reply with quote

You know what really hacks me off, when someone late starts and just says soz

I was doing Picasso road challenge and there was nobody near me and no indication that The King had late started. Then up comes the results and bang there it is Spanky McCoy 2nd place. If I'd known the late starting bellend was racing I might have gone a bit faster so he couldn't reach the finish in time.

If you late start when I'm on be prepared for me to shame you for it.

Evil or Very Mad

Oh and to anyone that comes up with "it's just a game" if "it's just a game" why do you feel the need to late start, if you can't start on time it's your look out, it's not compulsory to hit restart because you were messing about as the rest of us started. It's pretty obvious people late start because they are more interested in winning than racing. Can't do it in a real race shouldn't be able to do it here.

Rant over see you at the GP Wink
actual speed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get it off your chest m8, this is better than The Star problem pages, let's all have a rantathon Wink

First Up Against The Wall Come The Revolution:
Late Starters
Multiple Login Users
Hackers curse em
TMU wiseguys sorry Pep Razz
Ferrari Scuderia & F Alonso, GO LEWIS GO!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing

srsly tho ure right m8, The King is asking for ridicule and derision with a nick like that, late starting only confirms the whiff of tosser Laughing

Skin by Baino
CRJ 127
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please can Ferrari be excused, as they haven't been caught cheating ( as yet Laughing ) this season, but yeah ! stick McLaren up against the wall Wink

Go Kimi, Go Massa Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can understand why people get late start sometimes but these are the reason i start late:

-Ladder message thing popup
-Typing something
-Crash before 7:45
-Doing something and missed the start

Go Hamilton Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dantski

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how do people gain from starting late anyway? Seems like an obvious hindrance to the casual observer
DaCheese

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, as one of the TMU addicts like Pep I'll just sidle by whistling...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retoon wrote:
i can understand why people get late start sometimes but these are the reason i start late:

-Ladder message thing popup
-Typing something
-Crash before 7:45
-Doing something and missed the start

Go Hamilton Very Happy

Like I said you dont have to hit restart, you do it because you don't want to risk not winning. Personally speaking if I miss the start because I was having a piss or on the phone I sit the race out or start a few seconds down.

But that just seems to be me.

Last edited by Spanky_McCoy on Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spanky_McCoy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dantski wrote:
So how do people gain from starting late anyway? Seems like an obvious hindrance to the casual observer

The advantage is that you are not getting your sight of the first corners obscured by other racers, well that is what Flying Scott said when I asked him why he kept doing it. The other advantage comes that you are not racing the person in first, they can't see you so don't know how hard to charge so you can go at a quick pace while not actually getting involved with a battle which may force you to make errors.

As you can tell I actually consider it borderline cheating and definite unsporting conduct.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not that i want to come first all the time, i love winning but some of the time am alot quicker than the others and i want to get a good race time so i wll restart if i mess up the first corner. am trying not to do it as much but it happens.

I know most of the tracks so the first corner isnt a problem and the main reason i race on this server is because of the racing. being pushed by another racing is alot better than going around on your own. seeing how the other racers take corners can be a big help for the next time your on the track.

I cant help it if i miss the start from doing something else or that dam ladder message pops up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most people do it simply to annoy everyone, but there have been times when I have screwed up, restarted and then gone on to win. Rule of thumb: people who do it innocently tend to apologise; those who do it intentionally laugh at everyone.
Dantski wrote:

Not everyone knows this (even though you might), but although the race looks like it has a synchronised start, everyone's time is individual, so if someone waits for everyone else to blast off, then presses enter, their clock will start again, and as long as they finish within the ~15 seconds phase after the first finisher, they'll win if their time is shorter.

Effectively, it makes the game into a sort of 3-lap time attack (but without much wiggle room, admittedly), which most people would agree is against the spirit of laps, which is all about wheel-to-wheel racing.
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really succinct work Spanky and Bunsen, agree with all that.
i hope such attitudes are gradually filtering down to the plankton Very Happy

Skin by Baino
Spanky_McCoy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunsenjetson wrote:
I think most people do it simply to annoy everyone, but there have been times when I have screwed up, restarted and then gone on to win. Rule of thumb: people who do it innocently tend to apologise; those who do it intentionally laugh at everyone.

Not everyone knows this (even though you might), but although the race looks like it has a synchronised start, everyone's time is individual, so if someone waits for everyone else to blast off, then presses enter, their clock will start again, and as long as they finish within the ~15 seconds phase after the first finisher, they'll win if their time is shorter.

Effectively, it makes the game into a sort of 3-lap time attack (but without much wiggle room, admittedly), which most people would agree is against the spirit of laps, which is all about wheel-to-wheel racing.

I've restarted if I've gone off within the first lap, some tracks like passing through it's quite possible someone who crashed can win from a restart, I don't mind that personally. You're bang on right though it is entirely against the spirit of laps racing restarting. Like I said you can't do it in a real race so why is it acceptable here.

Rant really over now Laughing
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great explanation Bunsen and Spanky.

The Spirit of Lap racing on Mad laps is currently put to the test everyday now, by Hackers ( can't prove anything though Evil or Very Mad ) Late Starting muppets, Points Jerk Off's with different Tags etc, and genuinely scary fast racer's.

The only thing that keep's me playing on here are, my own thoughts and impression's I get from the majority of regular racers, and as much as anything else that is based on where you finish in races, and who's around you, it's not an exact science Laughing , but i'm sure you get the drift.

This ZYW factor is enhanced when you check back in your memory banks, and recall some of your closest and favourite on track duels, so I guess it boil's down to your racing peer's group.

Aside from all the racing stuff, it's generally a very friendly and funny community, and thats as good a reason as any to keep coming back Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i late start by a few tenths, its not my fault. My computer doesnt like me, so it lagg (i think) at the start, causing me to be a couple of tenths behind everyone else.

Also, if i late start, i will only finish, if im in first on track postition, not first on time. I stop just before the finish, and let the first three go through, then i finish, if i dont overtake the racer in first. Laughing

But i've also got to a point, where if i crash badly, i just cant be bothered to restart or carry on. Just spec the other guys, and enjoy the chat.
Dantski

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can see everyones point. Wouldn't it be nice if laps simply sent you to spec if you hit enter?

Quite often I'll be halfway through the 2nd lap then crash and restart (might end up distracting leaders) then go all out on 1 lap for a record. Is this frowned upon here?
retoon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve i get that alot where am just behind the other racers by a few tenths.
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dantski, I think you have to finish the whole race for lap and sector records to count. That's one reason why a lot of tracks are made so that they can only be circumnavigated the correct way. (Some sectors would be quicker backwards.)

But I agree, it would be great if hitting enter put you out of the race like in rounds. The only downside is if everyone crashes out but one person is away from keyboard; the whole world grinds to a halt while racers reach for their Swahili dictionaries to type "Press enter, you noodle" in native dialect ...
retoon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think it would work having it like rounds. something that i have been trying to do i restart so i can rejoin the leaders. just more fun than messing around the start line.
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, bunsen, that happened with me on the Team format once. Everyones saying press enter, getting really frustrated, the admin was going crazy, and i was about to leave, then for some reason i pressed enter, and it was me holding everyone up Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Some people......
DodgyGeezer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me, late start = bad , restart as youve ditched early on is ok..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: