Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cutting Vote !
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Your opinion on cutting
If its there use it, blame the trackbuilder.
60%
 60%  [ 14 ]
No cutting, EVER !!
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 23

Raikkonen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Cutting Vote ! Reply with quote

Lets see how a vote wwill turn out.

post comments if you havnt already.
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither option works for all circumstances Confused

Skin by Baino
JawZ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i vote both. Cool

DaCheese

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middenrat wrote:
Neither option works for all circumstances Confused

He's right y'know.
Dirty Deeds Done Cheap(ish)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of with mid, sometimes the cuts are put in intentionally by creators, I put in a normal road cut on a dirt track I did and it was only there to make people think it was a faster way which it wasn't.

I don't think you can remove them entirely but I believe that Pepper never intended his track to be raced in such a way and I can't see the enjoyment in racing it with the cut, it's not as good a track that way and ultimately the person whooping GG at the end comes out looking a bit of a knob to everybody else.

So I'm basically not against cutting but I am against it where there is little risk in the cut and a massive amount of time to be gained because you would be as well set up the track in that way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well there is a big dif between cuts and alternate routes.

but all i wanted was everyones opinion on it since its been going on in the server and i dont wanna be the tard who cuts when everyone doesnt, but then again i dont wanna loose out to someone that cuts either.
Ste-Unit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've used the cut on flying circus a few times, but the majority of the time i stop at the finish line as i'm not the 'true' winner (mid can back me up on that). if only records with cuts included in them didn't exist, as my record on the track is almost 40secs quicker than the 'true' track record (bboy).

there are other tracks with cuts on them. the cut on more then a feeling is EXTREMELY hard to pull off, and in my opinion is allowed because it takes so much skill to land it perfectly, it can go so wrong so easily..race over. another one is the cut from my GP track, Time to Fly (which still hasn't made it to the server yet), i didnt realise there was a cut on this track, which was allowed in the GP. I requested that when this tracks was added the cut was removed, as I must have spent a good half hour getting that set of corners right, only for racers to 'hop' through them.

so yeh, if it a risky and hard cut then it should be allowed, the worst cuts are the ones that people dont know about but only a few do, like flying circus.
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only really remember one track with a cut, really old, from TMN

It had this big jump and then you had to drive a little circle but if you jumped a little to the right you came on a rooftop and you could skip that circle

Anyway, everyone always used that. Yeah it's a bit sad when someone goes around searching for cuts all day, but when a cut is well-known by everyone, I don't see it as cheating, everyone can use it. Or the trackauthor could make a NO_SC version, like those fullspeed tracks DutchDelight or Romperstomper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok my view on cuts and what I hope most people will agree with.....

When building a track I try to remove cuts unless the cut is risky and only marginally rewarding. ie a 50:50 chance for a second or two......

Cuts if present will always be used by people so don't bother trying to stop them... poeple get angry and cuts can be fun.

BUT THE KEY IS...
If a cut RUINS a track as in this case I believe it has, then the track should be amended and the cut removed by additional checkpoints or minor track design changes. This solves the real issue and as an admin I have been slow to sort this out recently.

Note to self: I must do better.

Where tracks are suined by easy and massive cuts then please pm me with teh tracks name and I will endevour to sort them out or return them to the author for adjustment.
Pepper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That what i should do with Chumba Wamba and Flying Circus Mad.
Am i able to delete a track from the rotation to re-upload it later with the tools you gave to me ?
DaCheese

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of re-uploading tracks, can someone stick the version of Raising The Roof that's on TMX up instead of the current one during the next reshuffle? Not cut-related but it's something I've just remembered.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends if it's stylish or not.
'nuff said

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky_McCoy wrote:
So I'm basically not against cutting but I am against it where there is little risk in the cut and a massive amount of time to be gained because you would be as well set up the track in that way.

To reiterate this point on bandana the cut has practically no risk so would be eternally grateful if something could be done about it so I don't end up with my cursor hovering over "kick harder" again like I did for a couple of punters last night, don't worry I just left in a huff and went and drank beer to make myself feel better.

Cutters, *long swear filled rant* die from something itchy *another long swear filled rant*

What makes it worse is the majority of dicks you see doing it are more than capable of winning the race without cutting. Some folks just don't believe in fair play. If they don't watch out they might end up racing on empty servers.

*grrrr, rarrrr, grrrrrr*

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People take cuts not only to win the race but also to set records and sector records. As a tracker I do go out of my way to avoid them because I believe everyone should be racing the same track. As a player, if there is a cut I'll probably have a go at it just because everyone else will. Although I largely agree about giving a bit of space to tricky cuts, where there is a risk to the cutter, they still spoil the racing experience whether it is negotiated successful or not. Ultimately, it really is up to the trackers to make double sure that their tracks are not cuttable. Extra checkpoints, walls, and even creative use of media tracker can help this. A lot of cuts are found where drivers are given two identical (or mirror-image) routes because this will necessarily produce a large gap between checkpoints. It really is worth spending half an hour checking for cuts once a track is completed, and modifying cuttable tracks - no matter how fast your author time is!
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandana is my fault..., will try and fix it.
Spanky_McCoy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad wrote:
bandana is my fault..., will try and fix it.

Or you can let me ban anyone I catch doing it, least that way I can keep up with my banning quota and you don't have to take time out of your busy day when you've obviously got more important things to do.

Everyone is happy then, apart from those who cross me Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone could please send me back silver hill park
I could remove the cut from that and re submit it as I
didn't realize the cut on it.
Speed kills I'll leave alone because the cut on it is extremely
difficult to pull off once let alone 3 times in one race.
If anyone else finds a cut on one of my tracks please let me
know so I can take care of them as quickly as possible.
Thank you.
DragonFury

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cuts on laps tracks don't bother me. cuts on tech tracks though, are very annoying. when there's a cut-able track on a server, they just usually remove it. but from a laps server that's a different story. everyone's free to cut i say.
THUG brixton inmate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: my right is Reply with quote

not to choose it is the cowards way out but it suits me on this occasion...
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunsenjetson wrote:
Although I largely agree about giving a bit of space to tricky cuts, where there is a risk to the cutter, they still spoil the racing experience whether it is negotiated successful or not.

What's the track called again? BunsenBridge? That 'cut' was great Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: