Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What happens next?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaCheese

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: What happens next? Reply with quote

Inside is an Asus P5N-E motherboard, 2GHz Pentium Dual Core, 2GB of RAM, a DVD rewriter, 250GB hard drive and a PNY 8600GT (sadly not SLI-ready; I'll get some 8800s or 9600s at some stage). So far I've not spent £300. Obviously it won't set the earth on fire but it'll do what I want it to. Hopefully...

As you can see, it's put together. What I need to know now is what I do next. I need to sort the OS out, obviously, but do I have to fight with the BIOS first? Do the drivers I seem to have accumulated get installed after XP? If anyone can come up with a list of stuff for me to do and in what order please I'd be very grateful.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the BIOS doesnt need adjusting (unless you want to overclock)

All drivers should be installed after a OS has Been install

Basically, when u get an OS insert the disk B4 boot, then select boot menu and select CD rom, (usually u dont have to do it because there is no boot info on the HD), OS will install, then install driver disks, then u should OK.
DaCheese

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riiiiight. So pretty much just a case of sticking the OS disk in and running it to install it. Thanks Dan.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jump on vent when your ready and we can talk you through it...
DaCheese

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad wrote:
jump on vent when your ready and we can talk you through it...

Now that's a damn good idea mad...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's a progress update. I've been trying to get XP Pro DTM ed. to install and get through the Windows update system. I didn't have much success but thanks for your help anyway Dan. I bought an OEM version of that rare beast known as XP Pro x64, and that went on with no trouble whatsoever. very, very pleased with it, none of that Vista muck for me. Very Happy

I've also installed a fair few programs. Unfortunately none of them have been TrackMania. TMU failed to install last night half way through. I downloaded TMUF from gamershell today after it failed to work yesterday and tried installing TMU again. This time it wouldn't even spin up in the DVD rewriter. I checked the disk to see if there was anything wrong and found some nasty scratches and, worst of all, a huge crack down the middle of the disk. Shocked "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!", I yelled.

Ironically, today I was looking at a shiny new limited edition TMUF disk with 3D glasses in a local shop but decided I didn't need it. I'm going back for it tomorrow, so hope to see you all out on track again soon,

Cheese.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d/l a copy n use your `original` cd key, problem solved,
DaCheese

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro went into the black box tonight. Fitting the b*****d was a board-out job, but hopefully it should cool things down in there nicely. Once the thermal paste has sorted itself out, I might see about some overclocking, as I'm left wanting more from the 2GHz E2180 Pentium D at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaCheese wrote:
An Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro went into the black box tonight. Fitting the b*****d was a board-out job, but hopefully it should cool things down in there nicely. Once the thermal paste has sorted itself out, I might see about some overclocking, as I'm left wanting more from the 2GHz E2180 Pentium D at the moment.

in my new pc, im looking at a dual core 3 GHz, and im getting a Silent Scythe CPU heatsink and fan...u think i could overclock anything safely?

and also, which case would be best:
http://www.arbico.co.uk/skin1/pages/info/pc_case.php?id=18259
choose from coolermaster to galaxy case

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overclock a 3ghz processor, why??? it`s fast enough as it is to handle any game at the moment, (i`d give it 18 months before u`ll need more power), Depending on the processor make and type (i.e core family), it can be done, but it`s a risky business and can end in tears if the wrong setting is pushed too high, too soon, Personally, I`d stick with the three gig n be very happy
DaCheese

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know as much as Dan or a lot of people about overclocking but what he's saying makes sense to me. 2GHz maybe, but 3GHz? That's what I'd like to reach with my Pentium D, it'd be plenty fast enough.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What core type is it?? d/l `cpuz`, i`ll see what i can get u to??
HotSWAT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your CPU can never be too fast, just wanted to see if i could overclock it cos it would surely give the CPU a longer life...right?
although i'd love to be able to overclock my GPU..
cheese, if u find anything about overclocking your 8600gt, plz tell Razz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotSWAT wrote:
your CPU can never be too fast, just wanted to see if i could overclock it cos it would surely give the CPU a longer life...right?
although i'd love to be able to overclock my GPU..
cheese, if u find anything about overclocking your 8600gt, plz tell Razz

OverClocking put`s more strain on component, to successfully over clock, the multiplyer on the motherboard must first be raised:
e.g. (this is not how it works, it`s a simple example)

Stardard cpu, 200mhz x 10(x multiplyer) = 2000mhz or 2ghz
Overclock cpu, 200mhz x 15 (x multiplyer) = 3000mhz or 3 ghz

Then after a multiplyer setting has been reach where things start to get unstable, the voltage must be increased, to balance the cpu, thus generating heat, thus bringing LESS life to the components, this is why extra cooling is required!! The multiplyer on the motherboard also affects the speed off the ram (unless you have a mobo` with muliplyer locking on) and also the frequency of the GPU, although this is slight, this must be taken into consideration too, and ram voltages/ latency must be raised, to alter the gpu, the frequency of it can be altered in some bios`s, but, gpu`s are more often less hardy than cpu`s, the stock coolers are at a minimum size for the board, so, faster gpu=more heat= stock cooler cannot cope= blue screen of death!!

I have an athon xp 1ghz chip in a pc overclocked to 2 ghz, it`s been overclocked for 3 yrs and it is starting to die, the 7600gt board which has been installed also doesn`t like the setting`s, so i am after a athlon xp 2800 or 3000 chip to replace it and `underclock` the board again.

So on a final note, OVERCLOCKING IS A DANGEROUS GAME to play with your pride and joy,,, BE CAREFUL CHAPS.
DaCheese

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen my motherboard has seperate frequency settings for the CPU and RAM, so clocking up the processor won't do anything to the memory. Still, I'd best make sure first.

As for my graphics card, I won't bother overclocking that, at least on purpose. I'll just get a better card later in the year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaCheese wrote:
As for my graphics card, I won't bother overclocking that, at least on purpose. I'll just get a better card later in the year.

dual 8600gt would do me...right?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There`s a 512mb 8800gts in a shop near me for less than 100 notes if u`ve not bought anything yet, but two 8600`s will give u around the same power
DaCheese

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent so much moolah recently I'd best leave it a while really Crying or Very sad although that 8800GTS is very tempting Dan. Mid was telling me something like 80% of games see no real benefit from SLI, and my current 8600's not got the connector on top for SLI anyway.

I'll wait a few months and see if Ebuyer still have 8800GTs for £90 by then...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

живо69.9MONTMONTSickPaulXVIIStanAlisPackBattPremZero
Epso10-5MariOrieBrasВелиKathKalmNorvГлазSpek10-4Loui
BonnSensMortGezaСарьучресертстихHermЕрмаTeanFusivalu
PaulчелоGreaСысоИсаеRazeсертBrauJeanCosmрабоJohnтруб
GranTroyчемпАтмоWindXVIIРобиTotoложнГанаCarn«ОгоЗаго
ПервКельScheпалиRomaResiСушиWindLegeMarkфотоWildDisn
ГуляРоссSileDropCafe03-1LaurBladизмеТихоD-20AlleMyse
БелоB-20GardArtsЮрьеменяЗорисертAnsmНТВ-ОбухПоноStef
сторNokiLaurHarrигруPoorдвижSTALDaniCallHamiParkбарх
хороMSC1CampCataClimElecSonyGormГельупакRuyaХудоРосс
стекOlme9121RefeMystСимфунивJazzValiстраупакДревLamb
ЛиннFlooWindWindBorkИспоDeLoFleuCartGoldКондРазмавто
XVIIАртиBlueМалкSpliИллюЯковФормЧереMorcДидрЧереnore
ЗаваInteспецправSantStarдиссбудуPhilDaviMedaПолоBlac
РезнWhybЛыкодетеЖуриСергСолоавтоначаСодеГончЧохоАндр
HansХамрМонтАвелХазекнигWindВербAstrSereMSC1MSC1MSC1
чемпШульФедоHaveВиноБелаиспоLoveProlДетсМильMPEGtuchkas
salaPaul
xaniel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.ru
gangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.rugeartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.ru
geophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ru
halfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ruhangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ru
hartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.ru
jobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.rujournallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.ru
kerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ru
knowledgestate.rukondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.ru
laissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.rulanguagelaboratory.rulargeheart.ru
lasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.ru
mailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.runameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.ru
navelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ru
onesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.rupapercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ru
quasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.ru
recessioncone.rurecordedassignment.rurectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ru
scarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.rustungun.ru
tacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkas
ultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: