Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas tank for MadLaps championship
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Events and Challenges
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Ideas tank for MadLaps championship Reply with quote

Ok guys, i suggest we all put here all the ideas we have about what we think could be good for the organisation of these great challenges.
Just say anything you have in mind...

My ideas :

About the scoring points system : no change needed, the actual system is good and fair for the drivers who can't reach the top 5.

Players

I think we should limit the number of players at 15 per race. Since there is of course more people involved in it, the idea would be to make two separate group. Then, at the end of the season, we could have the great final event, on a mythic track, with the 10 highly classified racers from each group.

To choose what team goes in what group, the good old ticket in the hat...
Of course, there would also need to be cautious with the composition of the team. As DanTheMan said it's good to have a pro gamer, a middlefield and a less experimented racer in each team.

The other solution would be to bring together high skilled driver in one group and the others in the other group.

Team and Cars

3 racer per team as usual. One single car for the whole team (i know CPE is a bad example this season Embarassed ) and, that's important in my eyes, to keep a kind of "constructor championship spirit, a different car model for all teams Razz
Where for example, Stadium Car would go to bentley as it is a kind of "random team"

With something like 10 team, there would be 10 different models, i can assure you it's easy to find wonderful one Wink

Here are a few ones from Carpark and other places :

Caterham Super 7 from Diago
Caparo T-1 from Diago
Carmania2 D-Shape from Droidenl_mur
Formula U from Flipout
BuggDaFunk from Starbuck
F1 Discovery from Starbuck
RaceCar from Davion
Formule Renault from Manhunt
Cooper F1 (60's) from Zede
Official StadiumCar 3D model, all enviro compatible from Nadeo, with the help of WRC

I'm working with Flipout on another great singleseat which will kick the ass, so i won't use the Formula U anymore after it in this competition.

And also these 3 cars imported from NSR game :

pic1 (available : http://www.chupa.xdir.fr/ and soon on Carpark )
pic2 (available : http://www.chupa.xdir.fr/ and soon on Carpark )
pic3 (available soon on Carpark)

Other stuffs

Mods: we should centralise some Mods which have been done for United and Forever. No need to host it on the server, simply give them to download for interrested people and then it can give a real other face to the game. I'm thinking about town tracks for example... i'll show you some nice example, i've found a way to create big city tracks (like if it was New-York) without reaching too many track units and so, avoiding some lag.

Also... some off-championship challenges on the Coast enviro should be fun Embarassed

That's all for the moment lol Mr. Green Arrow

It's your turn buddies :
Spanky_McCoy
Dirty Deeds Done Cheap(ish)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of team selection I think we need to do seeding groups. That way you get three players of varying levels of skill and hopefully avoid having an uber team that will almost certainly win.

Seeding would be done based on results from the previous seasons and the discretion of certain punters who organise races. So if a new racer to mad laps is kicking ass all the time he won't get dumped in pot 3 just because he is new.

Thats my suggestion anyway.
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also suggest a rule on the subs cause that was getting really confusing

Also, I'm not needed to do the scores next season am I? Not sure if I'll join yet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas tank for MadLaps championship Reply with quote

DaPepper wrote:
Also... some off-championship challenges on the Coast enviro should be fun.

I was thinking a while back about Touge events. We build some mountain pass tracks, downhill, uphill or both, one driver follows another down. If the lead driver pulls away, they win. If the chasing driver passes the lead driver, they win instead. If neither of these has occured by the end of one run, they swap places and have another go. Japanese tuner car models not compulsory but recommended.

Back to Formula Mad. I'm quite happy with the way it works now, I'm probably going to struggle to find another driver for GMR but organising a team is part of the challenge. Splitting the field into two based on qualifying is perhaps one idea, with the lower half of the field going to the class 2 server and the fastest staying in class 1. This allows for a closer race as the drivers in each class are more evenly matched and it's possible of course to glue the replays from both races together and stick it on Youtube for example to get the full race coverage (Mad TV). I'll be in next season anyway, whtever happens, although having already assigned Mid a GMR FMS4 it'd be nice if he could drive it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moldo wrote:

Also, I'm not needed to do the scores next season am I?

Of course you're needed! It just wouldn't be the same without your leaderboard skillz.
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a contradiction between forming teams from ranked pools and the other current method i.e. invitation/application. In the end it should be one or the other. Or, more refinedly, All Ranked, All Inv/App, or Combined Inv/App and Random Selection.
Subs should be discontinued, for reasons of simplicity (mine, probably). I can't now think why they exist - this is why we have three-man teams, right?
Moldo, developing the software to do your job is defeating some of this country's finest minds, so please consider doing it for one more season. Your expertise and even-handedness are now 'mythic'.
Pepper, what have you been smoking? Laughing . What you're proposing is how Carlsberg would run this show (probably) and you'd have to take on the work yourself if you'd like to see it happen. Please remember that something like 1/3 of racers in each season are new to the format, they don't need any innovations. The skins idea is good, but most custom skins i've used are problematic when driven on the racing limit and a quick look at some of your proposals confirms this. Liveries is probably far enough for this mixed-ability crowd of ours.
As to the splitting of the Championship into different races for limited fields, I defer to DaMadman who has some opinions, I think. I'm easy either way as long as I'm not handed a crock of poo to admin Laughing

Skin by Baino
Aaron_LC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Confused I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Pepper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we impose a deadline to finish the skin like one or two weeks before the beginning of the season and then allow them to download (impose them to download ? lol) it would not be a problem since when you have the car in your garage , there is no more download work about it in the game. (i've something like 400Mb of free webspace to host them if you want)

If everybody has car and mods in the right directories, all they need to do is stay on the road. Mr. Green
But yeah, ideas are growing about quite "complex" championship in my head for more than one year now. It began when i was on RFR and i've still not been satisfied. My numerous attemps to host my own servers were also in this aim. The defeating factors are always my internet provider, first, my router then and the lag. Sad
So i didn't need to be drunk or so to think about all that lol, i'm belgian, this is enough Rolling Eyes

About the scoring system then, it is not to stole the job of Moldo, but if he doesn't want to continue to the next season, i can follow his way. Wink
Spanky_McCoy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middenrat wrote:
there's a contradiction between forming teams from ranked pools and the other current method i.e. invitation/application. In the end it should be one or the other. Or, more refinedly, All Ranked, All Inv/App, or Combined Inv/App and Random Selection.
Subs should be discontinued, for reasons of simplicity (mine, probably). I can't now think why they exist - this is why we have three-man teams, right?

Invites are fine in some ways, this season Bunsen and I did not bad I reckon, true we could have done with a 3rd racer but we were never going to win constructors anyway. Seeding just means we shouldn't have a repeat of a super team running away with the lot by middle of the season. From a personal point of view I have no problem with seeding it puts three varying skill levels into one team and should make for a more interesting table at the end of the season.

Subs should be discontinued even though I have taken advantage of Bboys availability a few times this season. At the same time there shouldn't be allowed a team to score from more than 3 players like this season with Bentley.
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middenrat wrote:
Moldo, developing the software to do your job is defeating some of this country's finest minds, so please consider doing it for one more season. Your expertise and even-handedness are now 'mythic'.

If you put it that way Wink I must say on one condition lol

Quote:

100% true, and the subs are just annoying on the scoreboard heheh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea would be to make the championship with only two teams.
The reds and the blues... you know what i'm talking about heh ? Smile
HotSWAT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my views:

1: Cars/Tags for teams
i think these are very important, they give a team more of an identity.
btw those cars look amazing pepper (the ones at the bottom)
dibs on the caparo T1 though!

2: Leagues (just an small idea)
maybe we could take this 3 tier system for teams a step further.
each team would have a player from each tier.
the fastest player on the team = Tier A
next fastest = Tier B
next = Tier C
done in Team mode, players will asign themselves to each Tier.
scoring system will apply to each tier separately.
e.g. if Player A wins Tier A,Player B wins Tier B and Player C wins Tier C
Player A,B and C all get, say, 10 points each.
qualification could be a single track at the start of the season left on the challenge server for a week. top 10 = Tier A, next 10 = Tier B last 10 = Tier C
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotSWAT wrote:
my views:

2: Leagues (just an small idea)
maybe we could take this 3 tier system for teams a step further.
each team would have a player from each tier.
the fastest player on the team = Tier A
next fastest = Tier B
next = Tier C
done in Team mode, players will asign themselves to each Tier.
scoring system will apply to each tier separately.
e.g. if Player A wins Tier A,Player B wins Tier B and Player C wins Tier C
Player A,B and C all get, say, 10 points each.
qualification could be a single track at the start of the season left on the challenge server for a week. top 10 = Tier A, next 10 = Tier B last 10 = Tier C

I like this idea ! Very Happy
Then, at the end of the season, the Winner of tier C goes to Tier B for next season, the same for the winner B to A ?
The last A go back to B, the last B go A, the last C... stay C lol
DodgyGeezer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about 4 ten lap tracks...

that would put the cat amongst the pidgeons.
HotSWAT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaPepper wrote:

I like this idea ! Very Happy
Then, at the end of the season, the Winner of tier C goes to Tier B for next season, the same for the winner B to A ?
The last A go back to B, the last B go A, the last C... stay C lol

that seems like a good idea at first, but peeps can improve between seasons, and it seems a bit unfair to have their Tier pre-decided, with no chance of changing.
what do u think?

and Dodgy, that seems like a good idea too
KCMG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o.k. seeing as im coming back for the next season i probally should give a few thoughts

Tier system : i do like the idea of tiers, however limit it to two to not leave it too competitive to get into the top tier for new players but also to keep each tier full of racers of different abilities

4 x 10 lap races : the idea of GPs - to me at least - is about long races, at least 15 minutes ideally half an hour long if not more. Perhaps though using this in a different way, 1st week using this as a quailfing system for the top tier (with say the 3 top racers from last season automatically put through), im also dissapointed that respawning exists as many of championships were decided through consistancy and not as many surpise winners last season - wouldn't surpise me if this didn't help

Qualifing : now lost as the server is kept in laps mode, however perhaps if we set the number of laps as 6-10 and the best time through the morning would get points.

I also think that quali. never had enough points as it didn't really reward those who would not normally compete in quali but got high up and didn't give the top racers much of a bonus.

So for points i think it would be better if the top 5 scored points of 5,4,3,2,1

also can i call the Caterham for next season - absolute favourite car Very Happy

can't think of anything else to add atm
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like that pointage for Qualifying, Voices. That's the sort of simple innovation we're looking for. Good news about next season & You Smile

I want to politely suggest... all the whizz-bang formats so far suggested in the thread are an increase of admin, for whom the championship must be fun also. Sitting in on many more rounds is just not possible for the working joes who run the show. Ideally keep it short and sweet.

Some of this stuff is transferrable to a Tuesday Night Racing Revival, so keep the ideas coming Smile

Skin by Baino
Spanky_McCoy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally speaking think 25 lap races works better although the amount of times I've dropped well down the track after lap 12 a 10 lap would probably benefit me and my lack of concentration Laughing

I see what voices is saying about the restarting and at the start of the season I would have agreed with him but after racing a few GP's and turtling in a couple and seeing others turtling it can make for some exciting racing trying to catch up again and avoid being caught by someone you see cartwheeling off the track. If you take it out I'd be mildly surprised if everyone is happy about it, because you crash lap 2 then it can be a long wait til the next GP.

It can't work here for obvious reasons but one thing that has jazzed up real motorsport is success ballast. You'd have to make it a time handicap instead and then I can't see many being honest about it and waiting 10-20 secs to start.
actual speed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anyone has any further thoughts on handicapping please let's hear them.
Maybe something like... racers take a time penalty of 1sec per point scored in the last pair of rounds - that would be 'interesting' Wink

Skin by Baino
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I definitely would like to see next season;
Substitution goes back the way it was --> if you can't finish the season, you drop out of the team and someone else takes the position (remember Racermarkie Question ). No more "I can't make it this week, someone take my place, I'll be back next week". Like mid said, that's what 3-man-teams were for in the first place.

Other thoughts;
Also, I heard someone make a point about it not being fair about Bentley, which is kinda true. There will always be racers that won't show up often enough for a team, that's what Bentley was for. Maybe we can just call them privateers, and no more Bentley. Constructors title will be all about 3-man-teams, not 30-man-teams.

4 ten lap races - no from me, I agree with Voices, GP's are about long races
The tier system - I don't get this, so... hmmm Laughing
Also, qualifying like season 1 and 2 was nice, I think Steve agrees, so maybe bring that back (haven't read all the posts above, I guess some words have been said about this)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Events and Challenges All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: