Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas tank for MadLaps championship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Events and Challenges
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky_McCoy wrote:
Dantski wrote:
Agree with DC, it ain't broke so don't fix it!

Think the idea of the thread was to come up with possible changes to the format. Granted you believe there is nothing wrong with the way it all works but plenty of suggestions are to the contrary. It might be better if you highlight what is so good about the current format that it doesn't need to be changed, then that might get your point across to people who are looking to make changes. I personally don't think the tier system will work within one race, handicapping can't work in this game, it does work in real racing but that is because you physically weigh the most succesful drivers car down.

Personally speaking there are several things I think that "are broke", the time does it have to be saturday evenings. The points dished out shouldn't go further down than 10th, yes finishing is an achievement but since everyone can restart if they turtle its not the achievement it used to be. No more than 3 members to a team so privateers are not counted together which caused the Bentley situation in season 3. If you can't take part you don't get a sub, your team goes without.

On the MPS tournament (like the 2h40 of Le Mans) you're not able to respawn or even restart, and it is in lap mode too. So maybe we could remove the possibility to respawn and restart ?
Then, if Bboy or Steve flip or get out of the road... we've got a chance to be 8th, 9th or 10th instead of 10, 11, 12, ... Rolling Eyes Mr. Green
I don't like andicaping at all. If they are the bests, they are the bests, we can't punish them by braking their legs...
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dantski wrote:
Agree with DC, it ain't broke so don't fix it!

Spanky_McCoy wrote:
I personally don't think the tier system will work within one race, handicapping can't work in this game.

DaPepper wrote:
I don't like andicaping at all. If they are the bests, they are the bests, we can't punish them by braking their legs...

(before attacking me for quoting this, I'll probably retire as a racer from the gp's, but it's true what he sais Exclamation )

and:

Spanky_McCoy wrote:
No more than 3 members to a team so privateers are not counted together which caused the Bentley situation in season 3. If you can't take part you don't get a sub, your team goes without.

+1! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky_McCoy wrote:
I personally don't think the tier system will work within one race.

could u please give an explanation for why?
It all seems good from my perspective, but i may have missed something :/

Spanky_McCoy wrote:
No more than 3 members to a team so privateers are not counted together which caused the Bentley situation in season 3. If you can't take part you don't get a sub, your team goes without.

I agree Razz
Dirty Deeds Done Cheap(ish)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotSWAT wrote:
Spanky_McCoy wrote:
I personally don't think the tier system will work within one race.

could u please give an explanation for why?
It all seems good from my perspective, but i may have missed something :/

The theory is fine its just what it means in the grand scheme of things. If you come top of tier 2 you still have possibly 8 guys who are still ahead of you on results but you are fastest of the 9th to 26th group, we kind of know that already from the final standings. My personal opinion is there are other ways to keep all 3 racers involved as part of the team, for instance if all three team members finish or finish in the top ten bonus points are added to constructors points.

I'm not against the idea I just don't see the need for it, if it were to be introduced I certainly wouldn't moan about it.

*edit*

Forgot to say maybe the time is right to have a seperate race for people who are not quite as fast as the top ten, like the division two idea I had a while back. It dawned on me because I was racing with Fred, Gord and Thug on the classics server and found the races to be very close with the lead changing hands a few times in the 3 laps. Maybe this way you can have very competitive racing but still not feel you drove as fast as you could and came 16th. It would certainly make people feel more involved if they had a chance of winning the race rather than being an also ran.

What do you gents (and ladies) think?
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like F1 and F2 ?
Spanky_McCoy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaPepper wrote:
Like F1 and F2 ?

Pretty much, on the same tracks just have the F2 race before the F1 race.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno...kinda liked the fact that the gp's were so hectic and so many peeps driving around...
and anyway, splitting it into two divisions: i don't think i can see it working unless we change the teams of 3 into teams of 2 or 4 (1 or 2 peeps from each division). Or maybe if we just have 3 teams per division...
but i do see what you mean spanky, it's a better way of doing things in the sense that the slower players can have a close race and can have a definate chance of a podium. although...the people in the middle of the scoreboard who end up in the higher division may be left feeling a bit alone..
why's this so bloody hard?!?!?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestions Spanky, those are some pretty major shortcomings admittedly. I have to say that the benefits of the current system are mainly that it's reasonably simple, realistic without being over-unfair on those that crash a few laps into a race and, while it takes a lot of organisation, could take a lot more!

Two classes would work well but to be honest the problem is where you create the division. In most GPs it's the top 5 that scream off into the distance and start piling laps on everyone else, while 6th or thereabouts onwards are generally closer. Split the field in half based on qualifying or previous race finishing order or whatever else and the lower half of class 1 probably ends up pretty uninvolved.

Any solutions?
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top 5 not allowed to race then... lol just joking, never mind Wink
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for a bit of fun, Tier One -
Moldo
Bboy
Dodgy
Steve
HotSwat
Reh
Bunsen
c3b
Rustray
JawZ
StevieM (unit)
DaMadman
Dan The Man

Tier Two:
Belial
McCoy
Middenrat
Slowth
Yann
Mark-s
Andsome
Sosteve
Shadowfax
RFR Steve
Da Dude24
THUG
DaCheese

With apologies for any ommissions and calculated weighing recent form + likelihood of appearance + season 3 standings. (I reckon I resulted out of position due to just doggedness in turning up repeatedly).

There are another half dozen racers showing too infrequently for consideration in this exercise and maybe four or five more who have expressed keen interest in the new season, having come to the game but recently.

I'm coming round to the idea of separate races for these two fields. We've got the Admins, it looks like we can support the extended server load, and the server controller... is in orbit around a Jupiter-type planet in the system of a class-M sun in a galaxy far, far away [sorry Mad, couldn't help it Wink ]

Anyways, please feel free to play being Bernie Ecclestone and shuffle the Tiers around, you know you want to Wink

Skin by Baino
Spanky_McCoy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middenrat wrote:
just for a bit of fun, Tier One -
Tier Two:
Belial
McCoy
Middenrat
Slowth
Yann
Mark-s
Andsome
Sosteve
Shadowfax
RFR Steve
Da Dude24
THUG
DaCheese

Without meaning to be too controversial there must have been repeated slips of the keyboard because you could easily be in Tier 1 Mid Laughing

Without meaning to make him big headed I reckon Cheese could be up there as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to find out if it works... is to try it. Very Happy

If this system goes ahead, then i cant see the players at the bottom of tier 1 being too happy about it.... going from top/middle in the rankings, to bottom.

And there may only be a few seconds separating the bottom of tier 1, and the top of tier 2, so where's the cut off?
Ste-Unit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I see with having two seperate races is how we're gonna have a full 25 lap race without anybody joining and racing. We obviously need to change the password to the server as alot of non-GPers know it now. Also, when Tier 1 is racing, does Tier 2 join as spectators? It'll have to work out somehow, is it possible to restrict the amount of players for each race to the amount in that tier? For example, 10 racers in tier 1 means as soon as theres 10 in the server it displays as being 'full' and all the tier 2 guys join as spectators to watch the action.
Pepper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, when a player join during the race, it freezes the screen of the racers for a short time, very short but enough to crash and loose a lot of time.
I agree we should change the password. And IF we have two separate tiers championships, the passwords shouldn't be the same.

Personnaly, i don't really care about beeing in bottom of tiers1 or top at tier2.
If i'm in the bottom of tier 1, at least it is between the topdrivers. Beeing in the top of tier 2 would be great but it still would be the tier 2, i know it's not really representative of my driving skills. But at least the podium could be the aim there.

What about a time attack session of 15 minutes on an unknown track to see (just see) how it could be divided, but without taking any decision yet ?
Ste-Unit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats quite a good idea, a track that no one has done before, with everyone on at once. the top 10 times after a certain time limit are in tier 1 and the bottom 10 in tier 2.

i dont see any problems with that, apart from people going slow on purpose so they can own tier 2.. Razz
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could end up like the Downhill World Champs last year... people deliberately going slowly to get a better positioning in the actual race.

And im going away tomorrow for a while, so i wont be able to do this qualifying thing if its before 17th July. Embarassed
Pepper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess, if you, Bboy, Steve, Moldo or Geezer for example are too slow to be in tier1... it's gonna be obvious Mr. Green
The ones for who it's gonna be 50/50 are more drivers like Middenrat, DaMadMan, DanTheMan, DaCheese, me, ... middlefield in other words. It could be close
Ste-Unit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, yeh because if you know that you have a 50/50 chance of being in tiers 1/2, and you don't really want to be in a tier where your always at the back and don't stand much chance, you might slow down on purpose to be in tier 2 where you'll have much more of a chance to shine.

but then again, 3 or 4 people will be the slower drivers in tier 1 no matter what, so someones gotta do it. (i'm just afraid that these people will get fed up of losing and not making any impact that they might drop out of the GP season). This is where the 2 tiers combined in one race might be better in this case, if you don't stand a chance against the rest of the tier 1 drivers then you could at least race the faster tier 2 drivers instead, making your position look a bit better than last place altogether.
DanTheMan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea (bit off topic), any chance we could gp on sundays, that way, personnal issues (wedding receptions, Getting bladdered, children) are less likely to effect consistancy in competitors being in the races
Pepper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree since i often work on saturdays evening... but i think most people still prefer the previous choice.

And this is not off topic...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Events and Challenges All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 4 of 23

Jump to: