Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas tank for MadLaps championship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Events and Challenges
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepper
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my point of view, qualifications, giving one or two points to the best timer, is just a way to give more points to the one who will obviously win the race anyway. Which means Moldo, HotSwat, bboy, Steve, ... It's only about increasing the gap with middlefield racer...
Spanky_McCoy
Dirty Deeds Done Cheap(ish)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middenrat wrote:
if anyone has any further thoughts on handicapping please let's hear them.
Maybe something like... racers take a time penalty of 1sec per point scored in the last pair of rounds - that would be 'interesting' Wink

Only way you can work it without giving people the opportunity to cheat is to make a deduction off the time they took to complete the race.

For example if the Flying Dutchman Moldo finishes 1st in races 1&2 he would be given a handicap of lets say 10 secs off his times in races 3&4. So in race three he wins that in a time of 15.44 with Bboy second with a time of 15.50 then when Moldo has his handicap applied it will give the win to Bboy. It will either make Moldo drive even faster to keep away from the pack or it will make Bboy drive even faster to make sure he is within the handicap deduction of Moldo. (I use your names as examples gentlemen I'm not saying one or other is faster all the time Very Happy )

Now one of two things will happen here, people will see it as an opportunity to jazz things up and make it interesting like Touring Cars or the people most likely to get the time handicap will piss and moan about it being unfair Laughing I personally think it will make for more interesting racing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handicap just sounds silly, its about the racing, not a time trial
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The timeattack mode for warmups dissappeared due to controller changes but will be back....

Hopefully will experiment during the season break to see if we can get any new ideas working.

The return of tuesday nights is definately going to happen as soon as the controller will allow.

Software update...
Webpages linked to the records system are now working but not finished. This will also allow the track uploading and mode changes that we require to get the thing working fully again. A full software expansion is slowly coming together and I hope to the records system ready for championship records within the next few weeks.....

Also been watching BST modlaps with interest.. someone there has way too much time on his hands... If anyone is in the same boat and has computing skills.... let me know. Server tools are written in java and PHP. two very similar and fairly straight forward languages....
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BST controller is just crazy... if they upgrade it anymore, it will be like The Brain and try to take over the world every night. Laughing

And i agree with Moldo, qualifying used to be one of the best bits. A few minutes before the GP, everyone's charging round looking for a few extra tenths... Glad to hear its making a come-back for next season Very Happy
Spanky_McCoy
Dirty Deeds Done Cheap(ish)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dantski wrote:
Handicap just sounds silly, its about the racing, not a time trial

Glad you said that, I said that about all the late starting pish on nations and constantly had the "it's about the total time to complete the laps" argument thrown at me every time. It should be about the total amount of time to complete the race from the start that everyone makes at the same time.

Handicapping works in real life racing because you weigh the cars down with ballast to make the driver who is the most succesful drive harder to continue winning. It likely won't work here because we can't weigh a car down and people much like yourself won't be happy if you win a race and then have that win taken away from you after a handicap allowance is added to your time. We're trying to jazz it up a little bit so the person in 15th feels as involved as the 4 guys fighting it out at the top. Handicapping will only effect the top 6 at best I imagine so really won't do much other than make the usual suspects swap a few wins over the season. I don't know if it's possible but another way you could change the format would be to have a time penalty for restarting at the last checkpoint, the old GP series you couldn't restart at all but now you can so a penalty for inconsistency would seem fair to me.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile handicapping.... taking things to the extreme it would be possible but i'm not sure we want to go there.

.... rolling start. top 3 in the championship start from the start.... everyone else gets to move on to further checkpoints based upon their championship standings. Then at a given signal we start Smile that way we should have grandstand finish with people all crossing the finish line closer.

like I said.. i dont think we want to go there but the concept is interesting.
Voices
KCMG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

although it might not be suitable for a GP season - I won't go through the reasons i would probally be here all day - it could be an interesting race for between seasons, however the track would have to have ALOT of checkpoints on it - perhaps as many as 10 - so that it isn't just a race between the fastest racer from the 1st group and the fastest racer from the second group
evil_homer
All-Round-Good-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you not do it where theres a fuel guage and you have to come into the pits to refuel?
make it more even by making the best drivers cars hold less fuel or they have to wait longer for there car to fill up? or can you not do that? Question

i might do the championship this time, can anyone do it or do i need a team Very Happy
msquires
Spam King

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea i saw that system on another server and it made things interesting!

although i dont think that the faster drivers should be handicapped...wheres the incentive then???
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitstops? Might as well join RFR Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pit stops work by using the MT stuff... so it would be the same for everyone.

The checkpoints is a good idea... everyone goes round to their designated check point, hits enter to make it fair for everyone, then everyone starts when the timer gets to 1 minute... it could work.
HotSWAT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think the 3 tier is best, not being arogant or anything... :/
seems far more simple to me, and still has the same concept.
point system would be simple too.
1st: 10 points
2nd: 9 points
3rd: 8 points
etc.
everything would be on one scoreboard too.
with the tier number beside each players name.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would the 3 tiers all race at once? like le mans series for example, with the le mans cars in one group, the porsche/ferrari second group and then the slow group all on the track at once. the tier number could be included in your name, like 't1~TyrellMoldo'
this way we can work out the order quite easily looking at the results of the race;

1. t1 Moldo (10pts)
2. t1 bboy (8pts)
3. t2 c3b (10pts) - for t2
4. t1 Hotswat (6pts)
5. t3 Good Homer (10pts) - for t3
6. t2 spanky mccoy (8pts) - for t2
7. t1 Steve (4pts)

etcetcectec

Last edited by Ste-Unit on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
HotSWAT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste-Unit wrote:
would the 3 tiers all race at once? like le mans series for example, with the le mans cars in one group, the porsche/ferrari second group and then the slow group all on the track at once. the tier number could be included in your name, like 't1~TyrellMoldo'

exactly, I was originally thinking Teams mode, but this seems a way better idea.
colour coding too,
tier 1 = t1
tier 2 = t2
tier 3 = t3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile i just edited my post as you were doing that
HotSWAT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great minds...post at the same time...lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste-Unit wrote:
1. t1 Moldo (10pts)
2. t1 bboy (8pts)
7. t1 Steve (4pts)

How come I always end up last in all these examples??

Anyway... i finally understand the tier system. Its been discussed for a while but each time i read it just flies straight over my head. But now i see what your talking about, it seems a good idea. Although, organising the tiers could be a problem.
Ste-Unit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry steve, i should have remember to put 'for example' in my post... Razz

and for the organising thing, i guess that could be decided through a seeding system created by the admins. if there were 21 races, 7 teams of 3, each member of each team fits into a team. 21 racers..

so the 21 can be seperated into 3 groups and then randomly dropped into a team of 3, with a member of each of the other 2 groups (maybe like a lottery)

Last edited by Ste-Unit on Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
evil_homer
All-Round-Good-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste-Unit wrote:

1. t1 Moldo (10pts)
2. t1 bboy (8pts)
3. t2 c3b (10pts) - for t2
4. t1 Hotswat (6pts)
5. t3 Good Homer (10pts) - for t3
6. t2 spanky mccoy (8pts) - for t2
7. t1 Steve (4pts)

etcetcectec

i think this is a great idea Very Happy
that way even the less experienced drivers can still do wonders for a team
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Events and Challenges All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 2 of 23

Jump to: