Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

first gp of new season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Events and Challenges
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restarting after crashing in lap 1 is allowed right?

It's time we cleared that.

But McInsane you got 0 points after all cause you didnt finish it. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah ok, sry didn't know that^^
Dantski

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean people could crash on lap 1, then restart and be eligible to score points Moldo?

I'd be against this, a driver making a mistake on lap 1 shouldn't be at an advantage over someone who makes a mistake on the other 24 laps.

Of course they are free to restart and drive for fun, but points shouldn't be counted.
retoon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

am with dantski. you shouldnt get a second chance just because you messed u on lap one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the main reason this was brought up was because some people occaissionally fail to start due to technical reasons.
Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we could adjust it a little bit?
you only score points after restarting if your 'crash' is due to the start, meaning lag or accidently entered.
So if you crash after a good start but a stupid mistake still in the first lap, you're just out.

Btw, I'm getting confused now Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same ere i thought we went over this rule last year

i crashed this weekend both gps on first lap and never restarted
Tred
Duracell Bunny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was allowed as it's quite possible to go off due to lag on the first lap as well as possible server issues etc (when I say lag, I mean graphics lag on the racers end, not the server. This tends to occur for the first lap on the larger tracks, and particularly when there are alot of other racers on the track).

LALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU

bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lag = mechanical failure = dnf, I would say. Imagine the last race of the season, 2 points in it, you crash, say you lagged, get a restart, come 2nd, win the season ... would ther be arguments? You bet. Yet it doesn't matter which race of the season it happens.

Perhaps there could be a compromise. In real F1 racing if you splutter at the start you can take a pit stop. You can also opt to start from the pit lane if a problem occurs before the race. If the server was set to rounds, you could actually quit the server, come back, rejoin, watch the intro and start your race. It would be like a pitstop and you'd probably be a minute or two behind the leaders. The server would announce that you had left and come back, so everyone would know, and perhaps you could be penalised x places for each restart, assuming you finish in time. It could be a crackpot idea, of course ..........
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time around this was kept loose and uncodified. It's a game after all and seems a bit cruel to bin something you've been looking forward to all week cos of a moment's lapse in the scrum off the grid. So, seeing as it's the Match Admin who finishes the race, racers were allowed to finish even if known to have restarted on lap one (one and a half in practice usu), along with recovering drivers who had left the track and remounted. Chaps who genuinely screw up on lap one are not normally challenging for top positions in the Championship and Admins have been careful to note any suspected gamesmanship ( we've got a lot of eyes and ears out there on GP meets thanks to our chums on Vent Wink )
If a majority of you all are dis with this friendly arrangement then it'll hardly be adding to the total sum of human happiness imo Exclamation

Skin by Baino
JawZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slow down abit at the start if you err lag or get out infront. less cars on ya screen then.

bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes MR, there's nothin more frustrating than crashing on the first lap, apart perhaps from crashing on the 24th ... I think the opposition to the idea of being allowed to restart comes from the same camp as the idea that late starters should be banished to hell (or sent to Smurfs of War). The frustration of finishing a 3-lap race in 1st place only to discover that someone who started 10 seconds after you has in fact won can surely only be magnified after 25 laps. The 25 lap races have about 5 mins runoff at the end, so you could quite easily finish in time ...

Anyway, it is just a game and you're right - anyone who cheats or plays the rules won't make themselves too popular in the community. If Michael Owen or Cristiano Ronaldo played trackmania, they would do it, then look puppy-eyed at Mad, as though there was nothing wrong.
retoon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just like to say that Cristiano Ronaldo or Michael Owen are not cheats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
-slowth-

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*winks at retoon*
JawZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micheal Owen would miss most of the season

Moldo
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only option then is a timepenalty after restarting..

or not allowing it at all which can be very frustrating for the one who is unlucky enough to crash in the first lap already.

I like the idea of the timepenalty better. One minute (or something) counted upon your time, then you could end up +- 5 positions lower than you've finished, and it's even possible that it doesnt matter at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I crashed first lap and I know I don't deserve a restart and points for it.

Maybe it'll teach me not to do it again (it won't!).
Voices
KCMG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always thought it was if you restarted you weren't counted and this was fairly simple.... of course this couldnt take anyone's pride away from a restarted win
Spanky_McCoy
Dirty Deeds Done Cheap(ish)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunsenjetson wrote:
Yes MR, there's nothin more frustrating than crashing on the first lap, apart perhaps from crashing on the 24th ... I think the opposition to the idea of being allowed to restart comes from the same camp as the idea that late starters should be banished to hell (or sent to Smurfs of War). The frustration of finishing a 3-lap race in 1st place only to discover that someone who started 10 seconds after you has in fact won can surely only be magnified after 25 laps. The 25 lap races have about 5 mins runoff at the end, so you could quite easily finish in time ...

You got that right Bunsen, if you think my rage at ending a 3 lap race and having some late starting scum sucking son (or daughter) of Satan steal in was bad it would be like Nagasaki in 1945 if it happened after 25 laps Laughing

Poor Hermes Girl summoned my fury last night for doing it, funnily enough after I unleashed the /makehermeshaveterriblecrashes trick she didn't do it again Twisted Evil

I haven't been in a GP yet where I've had the chance to use that rule but to be honest I never win away so it wouldn't likely effect the overall result. In saying that if I could start again a lap in it would be preferable to sitting watching even if I got no points for my efforts. Anyway if I was sat doing nothing I'd just try and distract mad with my commentary Razz
Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think Mad would be the only one distracted by you McCoy Razz

By the way, I'd still like to know how the exact rule is now (Mid?) Is it allowed then?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Events and Challenges All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: