Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time for another graphics card?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaCheese

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Time for another graphics card? Reply with quote

Some of you may recall my purchase of an ATi Radeon X1650 Pro from an Amazon seller. I'm now of the opinion that I was ripped off slightly as a similar card, if not the same one, was noticed shortly afterwards on ebuyer. Not only that, it's unable to meet my demands for lag-free high preset graphics in TMU's stadium online. Anyone who wants to catch up with the story so far can find it here.

So, another visit to ebuyer's site recently to investigate the Green Giant's tale of a 32in HD TV for £300 (true, I can confirm) and I made the mistake of browsing the graphics cards. There, in amongst all the shiny expensive PCI-E 8800GTs, was a rare find, an AGP card. This is a nVidia GeForce 7900GS, with 256mb of DDR3 memory and all that. Is it worth a try for £60? I'd sooner pay £60 for a new card than pay £1000 for a new PC...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£60 now for a card that maybe be outdated in a while. Or £150+ for a card that should be ok with the higher and higher demand on graphics that games will generate over the next few years.

I dont know much about graphics cards and stuff like that. Learn a little bit one day, and all thats completely chucked out the window the next, as the developers bring out something even better...
panza

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if thats roughly your budget try this i would advise it over wot u found so far for the extra 8 quid its worth it

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-162-SP
Gording

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Time for another graphics card? Reply with quote

AGP choices are fast drying up after the X1950Pro swept all contenders aside. However AGP graphics cards do sometimes arrive every now and again to fullfill the steadily getting smaller upgrade market, although they don't do anything for lag, they do offer higher frame rates! Twisted Evil

However, consider the resolution your monitor supports natively (if it's a flat panel) and then use this link :

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html

Simply choose the two cards you fancy comparing, then go through all the available game choices at that res, and see what does best. Just from memory I'd say the only thing that can beat an AGP 7900GS would be a 7950GT (which would be harder to find than The Lost Ark!), or the X1950 Pro's (drying up, and still above £100 anyway) so there's little to no choice of getting a better DX9 performer for less coin on AGP.

The 7900 series of graphics cards are physically quite large and long, and might be about 3-4 cm's longer than your current x1650, so make sure you have chassis room in your case before you decide to buy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: