Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Medi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Connection Reply with quote

Well, you guys may have noticed by now. I seem to fail 50% of the GP's because my connection decides to just....disconnect.

Now, this is going to be confusing but I think the more details you get from me the better you'll be able to pinpoint the problem.

6 games/other software do I often enter with on internet:

-Teamspeak
Never ever disconnected there

-Ventrillo
Seem to disconnect at least once every time I join a conversation on Ventrillo. So yeah, it's regular, like every 20-30 minutes at least.

-MSN
Sometimes disconnect, not sure when cause it's mostly running on the background whil I'm playing something like Trackmania, but yeah, it does disconnect at times.

-Guildwars (an MMORPG)
I never totally disconnect, but at times disconnect from the friendslist (which seems to be on a different server)

-World of Warcraft
Been over a year since I played that, but it had about the frequency as Ventrillo.

-Trackmania:Nations
At least once every saturday night Razz
Sometimes on the laps/rounds server, but if you'd calculate the amount of disconnects for each hour played it's significantly higher on the challenge server.

Strange thing is...today I noticed for the first time these connections failed at roughly the same time (Vent and TM:N). Most of the times I disconnected on for example MSN, Teamspeak would work just fine.

So yeah...can anyone help me fix this cause it's been giving me trouble for over a year now. I really don't mind losing connection to Ventrillo or MSN that much, but racing in position 1 and disconnecting is kind of...frustrating...

Anyone?
JawZ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i seem to disconect from msn at 00:00 when clocks go forward tho is 01:00

ive always foind tht peculier, but ive never had anything like your talking bout, though i do get jumpy pings for some reason

on vent i once had 15000 ping (to a vent server in US) my voice came thru to my friends about 10 mins after i said it, funny night that was...
DaCheese

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting regular disconnections from ML (not the server in particular's fault, it's just that that's generally the only server I race on), and then sometimes have trouble getting back in. Occasionally I get that "Contacting server..." message sitting there, but that's only happened twice.

You've not said anything about the way you connect. Are you using a router? If so and it's a model that lies flat, try propping it up to improve its cooling. Mad suggested this to me last night as he said mine could be overheating.
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, a rundown on connection problems....

The chances are that you are actually losing your broadband connection or it is freezing for some reason. if the loss is a few seconds or even part seconds, some packages will recover and you won't even notice. They will either reconnect without telling you or maybe they are not that sensitive and so didn't even notice the disconnection.

Games and speech packages are particularly sensitive and will cause more noticable effects. especially the intensive network games like FPS or trackmania.

To find the cause. check any logs that you can find that relate to your modem or router. there are normally logs available or indicators like the time online.... or time since last connection. If you have just been thrown out of TM, checking this time will tell you if your broadband connection failed or whether the problem is elsewhere. Sometimes your ISP can also provide a connection history on your homepage.

If it is your connection then you need to look at why? is your phone line signal bad? do you disconnect when the phone rings? (filter problems) Are you running on a wireless network and if so what is the signal strength like, does your mobile effect it etc.

If it's your connection is it traffic related.... ie download from a fast file site and upload a big file, does it fail.

A common cause is a bad router/modem. a better router (always get a router and never a USB modem) might be the only answer. see the news and information thread on routers i have tested. and make sure they are not buried and are upright and with plenty of air around them.
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this has happened to me it has turned out to be a phone line problem. Ask BT (or whoever you are with) to do a test. With mine once, the wire was badly damaged but in its resting position it was connected. Whenever there was wind outside I couldn't use the internet. BT, I have to say, have always been very fast to replace damaged lines. It's worth trying anyway.
mad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, there are lots of things it could be thats why i didnt say spend moeny quickly and it will go away. you need to find a common factor that causes it... like the weather or internet traffic or phone calls
JawZ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rain seems to mess my internet up.
McInSanE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's wireless, you might move your router a little bit closer or even further away from the receiver.. ..and you might check if there are any things that might disturb the connection.. ..that's all i know^^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: