Mad Online Gaming
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adverts & trackdesign (just a thought)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
+TARGET+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Adverts & trackdesign (just a thought) Reply with quote

I'll admit, I couldn't make a decent track without having to work on it for 2 or 3 months, so I have a LOT of respect for everyone who makes these tracks I enjoy so much. I do have a lot of pride when I see one of my adverts on your tracks, my little contribution Cool So I can imagine it must be a real pain to update the adverts if you change your mind.

Why not create your own "Dynamic advert" setup? Using locators in your maps, which I'm sure most (if not all) of you do, and a series of generic filenames, changing sinage would be as easy as renaming a file. The only catch I see is that you might need access to an FTP account, on a server that works well for adverts and/or skins.

So you make a folder, say ../MadLaps/MadAds, then move your ads there, named MadAd1, MadAd2, MadAd3, ect. Create the locators and place into the approperate folder. (I know, a little long winded Rolling Eyes )

So, DaMadMan decides to have a contest, err I dunno, some track making contest or a big race! But you'd like it to be THE big race, with loads of people. Now all you've got to do is whip up a clever advert, rename it to say MadAd2, and overwrite the original... PooF! any track using MadAd2 is updated with the new advert without having to edit any of your tracks.

Again, it's just a thought Razz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea for those who use it Target. I think a lot of people (myself included) upload images to PhotoBucket and use the direct links on there. It's also handy if you want to put images on here.
actual speed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say a dandy idea! new tracks could include a 'booth' on the grass with links to fresh announcements ...

Skin by Baino
bunsenjetson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I'm on the ball .... been super busy with work Sad ...)

The idea does work - I know cos I've done it on all my tracks. I don't really like linking to photobucket etc. simply because it's in someone else's control, and if ever the file location was lost or changed the whole track would have to be changed and uploaded again just for the sake of one advert. So I host all the ads on my own webspace with generic names. Then I just have to change the image but keep the same filename and eventually it reloads wherever the game is hosted. As far as I know, it has to be a link, doesn't it? You can't embed the image within the track file.
+TARGET+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it would work if you used just a URL while building the track, but, if you made locators and kept those in the folder for the adverts it gives the map something physical to reference (actually needed? I honestly don't know).

There's a good little "how-to" on TM-Creative: http://www.tm-creative.org/tutorials/general_locators/index.php

I almost posted a sign for an event that will be running at my theater in May, but would need to be changed afterwards. (Psssst.. Death Note, May 20th & 21st www.fathomevents.com).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's just it - if you make an advert for the event and call it image01.jpg and upload it and link to http: //www. host. co.uk /images /image01.jpg (for example), once the event is over, simply upload another image called image01.jpg. The change won't take place immediately because people will have the image cached, but after a few downloads the new image will probably start showing. On another server I go on, the owner decided to "rebrand" the adverts and had to change the URL in every advert in every track then upload again. The result was that they were treated as new maps and everyone's records were lost, even though they were effectively identical.
Middenrat
actual speed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly a sophisticated idea and one I would love to take advantage of. Seemingly our Mad leader is still living in his head wit dial-up so I don't know if it will progress beyond the 'bit-barrier' Wink

Skin by Baino
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mad Gaming Forums Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: